Love Running; Will Travel

I miss Alaska. Well maybe not Alaska per-say, but I miss mountains, oceans, beaches, trees...nature. Although I had an unforgettable experience on my mini Alaskan vacation it brought back an unwanted sadness and longing for home.

Our driving view

I miss hiking

Cloudy day outside of Anchorage, AK

At Alyeska Resort on the mountain

Crow Creek Mine in Girdwood, AK

Crow Creek Trail

Waiting for the tunnel in Whittier, AK

Melanie and I kayaking in Whittier, AK

Beautiful
 I grew up in the small town of Meredith, New Hampshire; aka the "Live Free or Die" state. Population 6,241. In the summertime it's a vacationers paradise. It's located right along Lake Winnepesaukee, which is the states largest lake. There are plenty of things to do and see on and off the water. Small shops to explore, great restaurants, ice cream shops, boat tours, train rides, trails to hike, mountains to climb, fishing, kayaking, boating, local music and entertainment...there really is something for everyone.

 I guess I never completely appreciated everything that surrounded me during the 17 years I lived there. I just never thought about moving so far away. Far from the mountains, oceans, forests, and beaches. I spent most of my summers at Waukewan Beach down the road from where I grew up. My best friend lived right across the street from the beach, so I'd walk the 1/2 mile trail down to her house and we'd spend most of our day together swimming. I was still a chubby kid despite all the exercise I seemed to get every day. Never in a million years would have thought I'd ever be a runner.

Last summer when my family and I went on our vacation to Meredith I ran that same trail down to my friends house where her mom still lives. I stopped at Waukewan Beach and enjoyed the early morning view before continuing my short run. It was even better to see my kids having so much fun swimming and kayaking in the same lake I spent so many hours in.

Now I live in Northwest Minnesota and have lived here for almost 18 years. Longer than I lived in Meredith, but I still miss it immensely. In my small town of less than 400 residence there are no mountains, beaches, stop lights, hiking trails, and no ice cream shops. I can say this about my small town life. Everyone is your neighbor. The kids can ride bike all over town without much worry. It's flat so running is easier and the clouds are amazing. So are lightning storms. I put my photo skills to the test last weekend during an awesome storm. No mountains ever in the way so you can see for miles.

Lightning and heat lightning with a firefly trailing through the shot
My sister came out to visit for the first time this past May and she ran the Fargo Half Marathon. I thought she would hate it here, but turns out she thought it was beautiful. For her there were no coffee shops, no big retail stores, and not much entertainment besides fulfilling her life long dream of driving a tractor. In Meredith there's a Dunkin' Donuts, more than one gas station, more than two restaurants, shops, rental places, traffic, and beaches. Here she got tractors, 4-wheelers, coffee from the CoffeeMate, a partially torn Achilles, expensive food, cold weather, and some small town hospitality.

Most people say Fargo is the easiest course to BQ on. My town does not have even the smallest hill to run on. I have to drive about 45 minutes to get to some hilly terrain. I've yet to have problems with a hilly course but it would definitely help to train on them. For the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Alaska the course was described as relatively flat and all downhill after mile 13. LIES! Alaska flat and Minnesota flat are completely different.

 There were a lot of hills on the course and a few were pretty rough. The trails were so cool to run on. It rained for about the first 10 miles so there was mud and puddles to maneuver around. I was completely soaked in the first mile but it really didn't bother me at all. I took my time with the run and didn't set any time goal for myself. I just wanted to enjoy Alaska and not push myself. So when I felt good I ran faster and if I felt tired I slowed down. I stopped and took a few photos while admiring the view of the mountains. I seriously had to remind myself I was in a race so I could get my butt moving again. I finished in 4:42. Not real proud of it but not really disappointed either. My flight went out about 4 hours after the run so I really didn't want to leave myself crippled. At the finish my right heel ached and the top of my right foot felt broken. I hobbled around for a few days but it felt better after some rest.

I loved Alaska! I want to travel to other states but I definitely have to go back with hubby. He would love it. The next state I think I'll visit is Montana. My runner friend just moved out there and I'm super jealous. She's been sending me beautiful pictures of the mountains and I think I hear them calling my name. The Missoula Marathon was actually today so maybe I'll plan that one for next year. More destinations are coming my way. Where will I go next? 

Comments

  1. If I was a betting man I would say Thief River Falls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a big run silly man. I have something up my sleeve but I may shake it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment