12 Kids and Counting

I just had one of those laughs where you just can't control yourself. You know the kind with tears and snorts and nothing can stop it? It really only happens when I'm super tired. If you want to know what started it, and you also need a good laugh, check out my Dave's Going to Boston post again. I finally added the other picture I was waiting for.

At the moment I have 12 girls under the age of 16 in my house and I'm exhausted. So I'm hiding in my room while they all run around screaming like jungle animals! Hey I did the good mom stuff of making pizza, taking pictures, lighting the (cup)cake candle, leading the "Happy Birthday" song, and filling these kids full of sugar. Don't worry it's payback for me because they're all spending the night- Yahtzee!

(No she's not 1, she's 12. I can never find the candles when I need them.)

It's been a busy weekend already with Spring Fest at church (4 of my girls were models), sleepovers, birthday parties, babysitting, baking for church tomorrow, running 12 miles, and did I mention the 12 girls? Plus Mike is shingling all weekend so I'm doing most of it on my own. I really am loving all of it and I rarely ever lose my cool (how could I) but I am very tired and just plain worn out. This whole week has been long and draining. Plus it rained all day today and days like this seem to suck the life out of even the best of us. It was a good movie day but as my 14 year old went to see The Hunger Games she had to leave me behind to tend the roost.

One of the sweet little church ladies grabbed my waist this morning and said, "I thought I saw you running west of town just now. I just saw a skinny lady and thought it was you but you're here." She called me skinny! Well I did lose 2 pounds this week just by eating really well...oh...but it wasn't me. Funny that she knows I run because I'm not even sure who she was. There are a lot of people in this town that apparently know me and my girls but I don't know all of them. Weird! Well it was suppose to be me at 5 a.m. but the rain kept me in bed a little bit longer. I've run in rain before but I knew it was also cold and 12 miles is a long way to go when you're wet and there's a very strong wind. A lot of runners hit the treadmill when the weather isn't ideal but the treadmill just isn't for me. So after church when I saw the dynamic duo husband and wife team running I knew it was my turn to run the planned 12 miles, even if it was raining. Ugh!

Most of the run was rain free with the wind to our backs but I still ended feeling water logged. I had to answer my phone once and I mentioned the fact that it hadn't been raining for about an hour. Huh, as soon as I hung up it started raining pretty good. Bryan blamed my big "trap" on that one but I'd like to think that Mother Nature was just trying to help us out. All runs can't be perfect. Just like my stomach isn't even close to being perfect as it started talking to me half way through the run. I searched for an area to use the "bathroom" and found the perfect spot. Apparently someone else thought it was the perfect spot because just a few feet away from me I spotted some used baby wipes. Hey when you gotta go, you gotta go!

(Bryan kept running as I took my BR break. Hmmmm, I guess my stop took a little too long.)

Yep that's our normal flat land Northwest Minnesota view of nothing but fields and trees. When you fly over the area in a plane everything is perfectly square and bare! Much different from the east coast where I grew up. No hill or trail training around here.

The run went fairly well except for the dumb dog. We called for a ride so we wouldn't have to run into the strong east wind but then as we neared our last mile we spotted a large black dog standing his ground in front of a driveway. It looked like a Doberman so we made an executive decision to turn back east so we could meet our ride and avoid having our faces ripped off. Dumb dog!

Me: "Stupid dog. This sucks ass!"
Bryan: "I know. At least we don't taste it."
Me: "That was unnecessary."

Running into the wind was very unpleasant and made my body ache. It took some extra effort but it wasn't long before our ride showed up and drove me to my nice warm home packed full of kids. What's the best part of a long run? Finishing. And the nice long hot shower afterwards. Now hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight after we pack the kids like sardines in one room.

Comments

  1. I don't know how you do it but congrats. You always manage. Hey, what's wrong with a nice Doberman waiting for you to pass? You really are the flat lander now. That is what the NH people called me and Uncle Howie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment