The Running Lull


It's -7 degrees outside and there is fresh snow covering the ground from last night. The thought of winter has thrown my body and mind into a catastrophic downward spiral of sorts. The days have become shorter and sleepless nights seem to be a regular occurrence.
 
 
I don’t feel like myself. I feel tired all the time, I'm lacking motivation and energy, and I can’t quite concentrate on one single task. My to-do-list keeps growing but I’m falling farther behind as each day passes. Can anyone else relate to this?
 
I have a training plan to follow but it’s been really difficult to find the time and energy to get the miles in. Monday I ran a slow 3 miles and felt a bit defeated, Tuesday I never found the time to squeeze in 50 tempo, Wednesday I ran 5 miles with a group in Grand Forks, and Thursday I missed another run. Not much of an inspiration I know but everyone has their lulls right? It’s not like I just come home and sit on my butt all night- I’m a busy mom. I think it’s just my change in schedule that has me turned upside down. During the holidays I’m asked to work 8 hours a day and I don’t think it quite agrees with me. At least not for me to run before work, work 8 hours, workout for another 30+ minutes, and also perform my mom and wife duties. I understand some women can balance all of this but I haven’t figured out a good schedule for myself yet. Anyone else out there feel my pain? Well what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears, bears will kill you.
 
I've been looking for motivation in places high and low, near and far...well that's it. It surrounds me everywhere I go but for some reason I'm not absorbing it the way I usually do.
 
It's in my mail
My name is listed in this magazine among hundreds of others.

November StrideBox
All over Facebook. Especially from the awesome ladies over on Women's Running Club.
Courtesy of Women's Running Community
 
Courtesy of True Runner
 
Friends
NARC Ugly Sweater Run 2012
 
Around my house
My current view
I have drawers of running gear and products, my fridge holds my training plan, there are stacks of Runners World magazines in my living room, StrideBox items all over, books in my nightstand, etc.
 
So what's getting me down? Not real sure I guess but I've been forcing myself to get out and run anyway. You may wonder if this form of self discipline really works.
 
This is one happy runner
 
Yes it does. Forcing myself to go out in the dark with a temperature of -1 degree (tonight) and having my iPod die halfway through my run was one of the best decisions I've made for myself recently. It really felt great and was left feeling energized and MOTIVATED once again!
 
So I will leave this temporary lull on the road behind me and focus ahead on my next goal. Until then, keep running my friends!
 
 


Comments