Let The Training Begin

I heard on the radio this morning that the average person will gain 10 pounds from Thanksgiving to New Years. 10 pounds in only two months- seriously? I feel like I fall into this "average" category as my pants got just a little more snug. No more junk food and late nights for this lady. It's time to get serious and let the training begin.
 
To help get myself motivated I signed up for two smaller races coming up in January and February. My friend Tracy and I will be running a 5K at Sunshine Fest in Grand Forks at the end of this month. I heard about the Sunshine Foundation a few months ago when a speaker came to my work and spoke about this new project called the Sunshine Hospitality Home.
 
"The Sunshine Hospitality Home will be a place for patients and their families, affected by critical illnesses, diseases, and injuries, who must travel to fulfill their health care needs. A hospitality house provides individuals with a place to sleep, eat, keep their belongings, relax and find comfort. It will be open to all ages and situations and will welcome families from the Grand Forks area and surrounding region." ~Courtesy of  http://sunshinememorial.org/projects/hospitality-house/
 
When medical issues arise places like the Sunshine Hospitality Home can really be a saving grace. While my daughter was ill and had to have two blood transfusions in Grand Forks my husband and I were driving back and forth a lot (60 miles one way). It was very tiring as we also had 4 other kids at home to take care of. Thankfully for us that was only a short period of time but now I have more of an understanding of what some families have to go through. 
 
This foundation is also about hydration awareness (Shannon "Sunshine" Larson died from heat exhaustion) which also relates to running. It's an issue that more athletes need to take seriously. Although my contribution won't be large I believe that involvement and support are also very important to any foundation.
 
 
 
 
Hubby and I also signed up for the Frozen Feat Lovebird 5K. Before you roll your eyes just know that it was cheaper to sign up this way. Plus, I accidentally signed up for the 5K instead of the 10K so then I just signed Mike up to run with me. Our "lovebird" friends are also running so there will be lots of pukey love goin' on. I'm teasing- we love all the affection they show. Mike and I have had 18 awesome years together and we're still like pukey little lovebirds...kind of.
 
 
Oh look at what I Googled up
 

Comments