The Women's Show

My pictures from the Zombie run are now on Flickr. There's one here and here and here and here. Dumb copyright laws. 
 
My friend and I went to the Grand Forks Women's Show today and I was hoping I could share some health and wellness tips with y'all...but I can't. I didn't get as much out of this expo as I was hoping for but us girls still had fun. We frosted cookies, drank pumpkin pie vodka, listened to some vendors, confused an already confused vendor, and rode a mechanical bull (oh wait only I did that).
 

This was no 8 second ride
 
I'm not sure how some of these vendors fell under the category of health and wellness but I guess someone needed to fill the space. There were at least 5-6 psychic mediums doing whatever it is they do for people. I ate some pulled pork (yum) from Wild Hog restaurant after we tried the apple pie vodka (not so good). We sampled some carrot cake from O' For Heaven's Cakes, which was fabulous. But let me touch on some of the healthier exhibitors.
 
Some guy offered to buy us breakfast or lunch and then handed us a personal invitation to The Shrink Tank, a cafe of sorts that offers healthy shakes. He didn't have samples just handed us the card and told us to come in sometime. I prefer sampling first.
 
Does anyone understand Laughter Yoga? I don't. They call it a powerful cardio workout that is lead by a laughter leader or teacher. There is a Social Laughter Club that is free for all and lasts for approximately an hour. Basically the brochure tells me I have to fake laugh for 15-20 minutes a day for it to bring me good health, joy, and world peace. I'm not joking.
 
We tried an all natural energy drink called Vemma, which taste better than it looked. It has 90-plus nutrients and 12 full spectrum vitamins and antioxidants. The brochure states "Superior ingredients help to defend against the effects of aging and build a strong nutritional foundation." 2- 32 ounce bottles cost $63 and 30- 2 ounce bottles cost $73. I guess I can't afford to feel younger and energetic.
 
There was a Jenny Craig vendor set up with samples of snacks for us take home. I grabbed the Chocolately Caramel Peanut bar that was 140 calories. I just ate it. I would say it was edible but tasted a little different from what I'm used to. I think it was the caramel that seemed a bit off-taste but overall it was a good snack. I don't know anyone personally who has been on Jenny Craig but it has a very good reputation. Their table was colorful and looked yummy so I'd say they did a good job.
 
Spray your fat away. This just sounds ri-donk-ulous right? The salesman insisted that this method works. According to the program description, HCG targets fat stores and forces the body to use those for energy in place of other types of energy. This product mimics HCG and when he asked us what happens when a pregnant woman starts producing HCG I answered, "She gets fat." Wrong. You should never reference a pregnant woman to a weight loss product, imo.
 
I have a hard time believing that dietary supplements really work. Yes you will lose weight but how are you going to maintain that weight over the span of your life? I don't believe the average person will go their whole life using dietary supplements; it's just not practical. Americans eat real food. I believe in calorie management. Eat the foods you would normally eat but use portion control by counting calories. At my current weight the daily calorie intake I would need to lose weight would be around 1000-1100. With exercise 4-5 times a week I should have no problem hitting my weight goal. All of these dietary supplement vendors said there was no need for exercise. I beg to differ.
 
So I guess I did learn something today. Dietary supplements are not my thang. But these are...
 
$5 sunglasses- whoop whoop
 
Just a quick shout out to the employee at Finish Line who brought JB a pair of 7 1/2 running shoes when she wears and asked for a 9 1/2. Those totally would have worked!
 

Comments