Interesting Conversations

“Mom, is there such a thing as leg boogers?” My 9 year old asks.

“No!” I answer.

“Well look. It looks like I have boogers.” She says walking over to me and points to the edge of her scabbed up knee.
“No Hannah, that’s just pus from your scab.”

“No mom you don’t get it.” Frustrated with me she walks over to her older sister.

“Hannah there’s no such thing as leg boogers.” I say firmly.

“Yeah Hannah there are no leg boogers.” Her sister says.

“Well there should be! There’s nose boogers and eye boogers, so there should be leg boogers.”

End of conversation.

Most of my days are filled with interesting conversations, but every once in a while I get a really good one like this and I just have to write it down.

Runners have dumb conversations all the time and they bring up many strange topics, habits, nerd facts (Bryan), and/or just plain useless information while out on a run (or so I’ve read). I was slightly concerned about this past Saturdays running conversations. I mean we had run a 17 miler last Saturday plus ran our weekly miles. So what the heck can we talk about for another 3 hours? Apparently a vast variety of nothing important! Let’s see…there were conversations about burping, farting, weather, weekend plans, work, who honked, who waved, who didn’t wave, who didn’t move over, Venus and Jupiter, how many Sports Beans you should attempt to put in your mouth while running, etc.
Side note: If the Sports Beans are cold then I suggest eating only one at a time while actually running. This IS important information coming from a person who once choked on a fruit punch flavored bean while running.

The best part of these useless conversations is that it makes the time go by so much faster. Sometimes you can get some good stories from one run to talk about on your next run. Like the time Bryan choked on a bug. Yep, he just inhaled that thing like his life depended on it. And when he stopped dead in his tracks, leaned over, and made the loogy spitting sounds trying to get it dislodged all I could do was laugh. Well, what else could I have done? Perhaps a good running partner would have tried to inhale a similar bug, but I’m sure I’ll have my own shining moment one day.
Most of my memorable stories are ones that I would rather forget. Like the time I ran the Fargo Mini-Marathon and almost passed out from dehydration. Who knew it would be that warm in October? I’ve learned a lot from that horrible experience, hence the reason why I purchased my Nathan Hydrapak. I almost didn’t even run that race because I was having some issues in the weeks before, but my stubbornness pushed me through. I should have just watched and I wouldn’t have had my WR (worst record). However, bad experiences usually teach us very good lessons and lead to some really good stories!

Do you have a good running story to share?

Comments