Time

Time can change the future but not the past. In an instant a life can be lost, a game can be won, a story can begin, and a heart can be broken. Life is a series of events that will lead us to a future that we do not yet know. That's what makes it so wonderfully mysterious. The choices we make can send us careening off in all directions leaving all who witness pondering the outcome (or more realistically harshly judging while presumably knowing the outcome). Everyone thinks there is time, but time is just a road with lots of hills to climb and turns to take, but before you know it you come to a dead end. 

Have you ever studied people? Or a particular person? Humans are very interesting creatures for many different reasons. Recently I met some pretty awesome individuals who seem to have life all figured out. They're focused, goal bound, driven, physically fit, and more importantly they are runners. Runners are their own kind of crazy but each and every one of them has a different story to tell. Let me share a few with you.

First there was Melissa. We were both walking a bit during the Wild Hog half marathon around mile 11. She has run 11 full marathons of her 50 states goal. She had run something like 3 half marathons in the last 3 weeks and is preparing for the Harder'n Hell 50K next weekend. She wasn't wearing headphones and appeared to be the type of runner who didn't mind chatting with a stranger. We learned that we both have children so early morning runs work best for our schedules. Both of our husbands are very supportive of our running goals which is super important. She apparently loves to travel since she wants to run all 50 states- bonus!
She was like my ultimate running buddy except I never actually got her name. Of course that would happen to me. Meet someone cool and then never get a name or forget the name. Either way I'm screwed. Thankfully we live in a very creepy social media world and I was able to track her down through race footage and Facebook. Okay people you really should be more careful when there are people like me lurking around. I wonder if she'll fits all my requirements.
[ from previous post "Wanted"]
Wanted: Female runner between the age of 30-40 who runs an average pace of 9:00 and race pace of 7:30. Must run marathons and be interested in ultra marathons. Must watch The Walking Dead and have a love for Zombies. Prefer married with at least 3 children. Also prefer post baby flab, stretch marks, maybe a little frumpy, with a smart ass sense of humor. Must like working out and eating healthy but can't look better than me. Stomach issues are a plus as long as you don't stop more than I do. Please contact Lori at 555-GET-REAL.

Once I crossed the finish line I was able to meet up with my super cool friend Brock who was Bart Yasso's "tour guide". Not only did I get to meet Mr. Bart Yasso but he also took a picture with me and a selfie with Brock and I. What's so special about that you ask? Wellll...he put the photo on his Instagram AND Twitter account. Yeah Brock and I are a pretty big deal now. I was able to chat with Mr. Yasso a bit and ask him some questions. I tried to play it real cool as I mentioned I was originally from New Hampshire. Of course then he asked me what big marathon NH has. Uhhhhhhh. I have no idea. I think it's just called the New Hampshire marathon but I'm a clueless runner who doesn't get enough oxygen to her brain. No one ever excused me of being too smart.




Now we move on to Barry. Some of you may have read about my bestest friend Brock. We have been friends for a few years now and used to run quite a bit together (until he got faster and I got slower). Now we only occasionally run together or I bike along side him. Mostly because our schedules are so different but we still chat and hang out. Well anyhow, Brock met this strapping young lad Barry through RunJunkees on Facebook. Barry had posted his transformation story on the page about a year ago, so Brock shared his very similar story with Barry. The two instantly connected with their similar weight loss journeys and running goals. Over the last few weeks Barry's story was picked up by the local media, social media, and Runner's World magazine. My side of the story is a bit different from the medias because I've actually spent time with them.

I didn't know either of these guys at their heaviest weights but when I first met Brock he looked a bit different from the Brock we all see now. The first time I saw Brock he had long hair, was wearing a Jason Voorhees mask, and was carrying a machete.

Yep, exact match.

Okay, so it was Halloween but still it kind of creeped me out.
At that time I didn't think Brock was overweight or ever had been. However, he was just 90 pounds down from the 141 total pounds he has lost to date. The majority of that was lost through his new found running addiction. Something changed Brock. Something much more than just a number on the scale. He found something he really enjoyed. Something he was really good at. Something he could actually keep improving on and possibly even win medals for. Like I said, I used to run with Brock but he just keeps improving and getting faster. What a jerkface!
Brock's first marathon time 09/2013                                 Brock's PR marathon time from 10/2015

Having grown up in Wisconsin Barry attended a very strict church that didn't necessarily support children in organized sports. It wasn't until several years later that Barry picked up his running addiction. While struggling with his weight throughout high school he managed to lose 80 pounds through his own self discipline in 9th grade. However, the real issue for Barry wasn't losing the weight it was keeping the weight off. After high school he enlisted in the Army. For the next 2.5 years running was used more as a punishment rather than for enjoyment. Over the next 10 years while he was attending school and working as an orderly/dietitian Barry's weight fluctuated. By 2002 Barry was married and working as a registered nurse. That's when the weight started to become a bigger problem.

Having been a registered nurse for 18 years Barry was well aware of the extra weight he was carrying around. A bad marriage followed by a small bout of depression put Barry at his heaviest weight. Barry says, "When I was over 400 pounds in January 2008 I made a goal to be running Grandma's half marathon by June 2009. I did it in 1 hour 56 minutes." Down to 198 pounds running a sub 2 hour half marathon- wow! With his daughter as motivation Barry kept working hard to get more weight off and to get faster. He boasts about his daughter and her love for running.

"She has been to almost all my races since she was 5 years old. Lots of 5K's to start as I worked my way up to the marathon distance. She loved to watch me race. She started 3-4 years ago doing the 1 mile races when they were available. Now she doesn't want to watch she wants to run them. She can run 7 miles without stopping. She wants to run Grandma's 1/2 marathon next year. I'll be signing her up for it in the next few days. She's asking about joining the cross country team when she's old enough. I never pushed it. I think she was motivated by watching me run and saw my transformation happen. She loves to run now. She asks me for advice and talks running with me.We have always had a good father/daughter relationship but this does bring us closer for sure. Having this running bond. I get excited to think if she sticks with it where this will go. She's a very good kid. She's shy but a joy to be around. I'm very proud of her. Running helped save my life. Gave me my life back. It's my thing and I'm happy if she wants to join me. If she fades out on it that's okay too."

Now weighing 160 pounds Barry has managed to keep the weight off for 3 years. He has worked hard to get to where he is now. Boston Marathon runner in 2016!!!!!
 Barry's Grandma's Marathon 2010                                                      Barry's IL marathon 2015 (BQ)

I think all the "fame" Barry has recently received has been a bit overwhelming, but he's looking forward to helping more people who have a similar story to his. That's the awesome part about being a runner. We all more than likely started out in rough shape (mentally or physically). Perhaps some smokers and some overweight. All from different walks of life, all fighting some type of battle, or hoping for a similar goal. You can be fast, slow, short, tall, overweight, physically fit, a mom/dad, daughter/son, doctor, laborer, etc. It doesn't matter. It all takes time, but once we toe that starting line we are all going to go the same distance. Each story will be different but each story will also be amazing!

Comments

  1. I just read Barry's story on the Runner's World site and it is really inspiring. Him and Brock are both ridiculously fast!

    Your "wanted" ad gave me some laughs :) Finding another woman running partner is tough! Especially in small-town northern MN. There are a few runners here and there in Stephen, but it's harder to find partners who want to be up and running at 5:30 am before the kids wake up :) I love races because it's that rare opportunity to run with an entire herd of running-crazy people - a pleasant change compared to running solo all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment