Wild Duluth 50K

Today I officially start training for the Wild Duluth 50K…with 0 miles. Yep, the first day of the plan is a rest day. It may sound unusual but Monday’s are scheduled this way because the weekends are back to back long runs. So, once this plan kicks into high gear Monday will be a welcomed day of the week.

"Extremely rugged, single track trails overlooking Lake Superior through Duluth, MN. This is a very rugged trail with many rocks and roots to trip runners, steep climbs and descents. Please be aware of what you are preparing to run. A spectacularly beautiful, supremely challenging course."- Run Race

This will be my very first ultra and although I'm a bit nervous I'm also really excited. I covered the 50K (30 mile) distance a few years ago and have completed 4 full marathons but haven't done much trail running. The marathon I ran in Alaska had a lot of trails but nothing like the one I'm going to experience in October. 

There will be a lot of hills and soft ground to train on in the next few months. Yay! I love being away from the pavement and right in the middle of all the foliage. This is one of the trails I'll be spending a lot of time on. 


Something tells me I need to find more rugged terrain. I watched a video from a previous Wild Duluth race and I'm not gonna lie, I whimpered a little bit. I haven't been able to find that exact video again but here's what I can expect. 


Yep, I'm so ready for this! 

Comments