Live and Learn

January 4- I have officially started my training for the Fargo marathon. I didn't realize I needed to start so soon but as I began filling in my race calendar things became all too clear. Yikes! I have a big race year planned along with the graduation of our oldest daughter. So, by the end of May I will have completed my first marathon of 2014, have a graduate of high school, and only have 4 children left living in the house. Yep she plans on moving out right away. It's too crazy to think about, especially since my head is already swimming with infestation of sorts.

I made her laugh...once. Photo by Katie Lynn Photography

The year has not started off so great for me (and it's only 4 days in). I'm really hoping it's not a sign of the year to come. At this moment I have a sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, body aches, on and off fever, and extreme pain in my left shoulder. That's how I woke up feeling Friday morning, which was only day 2 of my training. BAM...I hit a wall already. I'd like to think of it as just a minor delay.

January 12- I finally started to feel better on Wednesday after a very long weekend and a few days off of work. Some of my germs also spread to my 5 year old so that meant no school for her. Special.

What do you do when you have to run but you're too sick? In my case I believe I had the flu so the best thing to do was rest. There was one day in that time frame when I thought I could have done a few slow miles. However, the temps were well below zero (statewide school shutdown) and I don't have my own treadmill. Sure I could have brought my germs to someone else's home but I wasn't feeling so generous in that area. In the 4 years that I've been running I've almost always been able to run through a cold or minor illness. Never have I been out for that long. Let me just say it was awful.

So I put in my planned miles from Thursday until today and guess what? I have body aches, sore throat, runny nose, headache, and no energy. I can not afford to be sick. I have races to prepare for. I have a goal race in February, a 5K next weekend, and of course there's that little marathon thing. Too much too soon? Maybe. I am way to stubborn for this. I will not stop running. I will not take a break. I need to lose weight. I need to get faster. I need to get to my 2014 goals.

Thank you "This Momma Runs". Now if only my friends and family can retain this.

January 16- Well here I am on my 10th day of this illness so I finally broke down and went to the doctor. After watching every season of Breaking Bad I started to get bored and I wasn't getting any better. In fact it seemed to be getting worse. I was swabbed for strep but never heard the results (the whole doctor will call you thing). So after rattling off all my symptoms (sore throat, headaches, stuffy nose, sinus pressure, body aches, fever, chills, nausea, and diarrhea) the doctor gave me meds. I wasn't diagnosed or tested for anything other than strep but what I did get was a prescription that allows me to be up at 3 a.m. I believe it was the Prednisone that causes insomnia. Mucinex DM for congestion, Hick's Solution to gargle for my sore throat, and Prednisone to open my lungs up so I can breathe better. Of course I bought myself a treat to mask all the nasty taste but hey I deserved that whole bag of Jolly Rancher bites.

Isn't that a sweet mug? That leg got a little hot to touch.
 I haven't run for 3 days straight now. I despise not being able to run. It's driving me insane. Please refer back to the warning label above. Had it not been so cold outside I might have tried to go. Hey, I have my Road ID now so my body would be easily identifiable. I may try to get a few miles in later today. The meds have already started to kick in and half my symptoms are cleared up at the moment. It could be worse. Last January we had two children in the hospital  resulting in three surgeries and a nice stack of medical bills. I count my blessings daily and thank God for our health and happiness.

 As for my running goals...well I'm still optimistic, because as I said before I'm very stubborn. Yes, so stubborn that I got myself sick twice- way to go me! So I'll give you just a little of my own advice. If you're an athlete of any type and you get sick- REST! It's going to suck, you're going to want to get moving again, but be patient. Make sure you're at least 90% before you start back up. Don't go full throttle, don't go too soon, and don't be afraid to rest an extra day. I know it's easier said then done but you don't want to go out too soon and end up back in Illville like me. OK fine maybe I'll just start with a walk but that's all I can downgrade to.

Oh I almost forgot. I did get to have one awesome experience in the midst of all this sickness.

This opening band "The Kin" was amazing. 

And of course P!NK
Such an amazing show!!!!!! I'm so glad I felt well enough to be able to go...and I got some awesome cinnamon roasted almonds- yum!

Comments