Change in Scenery

It's always nice to get outside and run with a group, especially if it's a long run day. It definitely helps pass the time and sometimes you get some cool stories out of the deal.

This morning my friend Brock and I headed over to Grand Forks to run with the Red River Runners group. The last time I showed up for one of these runs only two of their members show up and our little NARC group represented with three. Today there was 4 of them and 2 of us- ah skunked. Not many wanted to brave the weather I guess (Sunshine Fest was also today which is an awesome foundation to run/walk for).

I was a little nervous running with this group. When I think of RRRGF I think of...
1. Elite runners
2. Popsicle sticks
3. Running lingo I don't understand (yes I do know the basics but I'm talking real technical stuff)
4. Shark Tank (don't ask)

My fears were not completely dissipated when we arrived. Just like when I was younger and the little boy from England that visited every summer spotted me while playing hide and seek and said, "Here comes the little fat girl." Yep there I was...the chubby one. All the weight that I lost when I first started running is back on. Crazy how fast that happens without barely even realizing it. Well this week I'm down 3 pounds so it's a good start. I'll be the chubby one in the group for a few months guys- you're welcome.

Men with skinny legs

These guys wore running tights with no other pants. Their legs are like toothpicks. I will never be an only tights kind of girl. My legs will never be small enough. There are many reasons why wearing skin tight pants is a bad idea. Let me explain. While running behind a man wearing these "tights" (skin tight pants) I noticed a bulge between his legs. I didn't want to look but it's like driving by an accident- you just can't look away. Could it be? Is that really his...? Oh my gosh I think it is! That's so gross. Men's junk is so gross. That's why men should not wear skin tight anything.

Ok this was my bad because it turns out what I saw were his shorts creating what appeared to be bulges between his legs. Wear longer shorts next time and I won't make that mistake. Ahem, Martin and Pete you two look just fine in tights. Rock on!

JK I have neither

Moving on. It turned out to be a pretty nice morning for a 10 mile run. My legs were a little sore from starting T25 this week but nothing terrible. This was probably the farthest I've run since October so I was thankful that our pace wasn't under a 9:30 mile. Trust me, they're capable of ridiculous speeds.

Our leader/pacer/guide/direction holder, Martin, carried this little cheat sheet of the route with him.

He actually is a pacer so these little notes are probably common.

Makes sense right? I would have been so lost. Although some of it was familiar territory, as we ran by a family members house, the other 9 miles were not so familiar. And of course my watch wouldn't link so I never had a good idea of how far we'd gone or how much farther we had to go. Always happens when I really want it to work.

We made a couple quick stops, which were appreciated, and made it back just in time for me to use the bathroom. It was another one of those "don't pants your poop" moments. TMI? I think this post passed that point a while ago.

These guys were a lot of fun to run with. Definitely very nice and considerate people. Thank you Anne-Marie for bringing us water while we were out there. I assume she did not run with us because she appeared to be pregnant (never ask until the heads popping out). She was very nice to send us off, bring us water, take a photo, and welcome us back. Martin and Pete were very friendly and kept nice conversation with us. The other two from RRRGF didn't run with us so I'm sorry I didn't get their names. They weren't running the same mileage as we were so there were some greetings exchanged and we were all on our way.

Thank you Anne-Marie

There was a women who posted on the Women's Running Club Facebook page asking about joining a running group. I highly recommend it. At least give it a try. You might get some good tips, funny stories, lifelong friends, or maybe even a spouse (you never know). At least it's a good change of scenery. 

Comments