Pesky Running Partners

Have you ever started out a solo run thinking you were going to enjoy some alone time, but then at the last minute you were joined by an uninvited guest? This happened to me Sunday and although I wasn't too happy about it at the time I guess it was pretty cool. 
 
 
We packed up two mini vans early Saturday morning and headed to the lake for an annual family get together. At this point you might be thinking "Wow they packed a lot for just one weekend." Well we normally wouldn't take two vans but we brought three extra girls with us to help celebrate Caitlin's 16th birthday- for a total of 9 awesome girls for hubby to hang with.
The girl with frizzy hair is my Caitlin (just like mom)
One of the first items I packed for the weekend was my running gear. Mike always rolls his eyes and asks, "What are you doing?" when my running gear starts getting tossed in my bag. After being on vacation for a week and a half, and only running once while eating lots of junk food, I need to make up some major miles. Plus you just never know when an impromptu run might take place.
 
Mike (hubby), Hannah (my 11 year old), and I ran a 5K Friday night, which was a last minute decision. To my surprise Mike was the one who actually pushed us to go. I just wasn't really feeling up to it but after eating lots of taffy, donuts, and cupcakes over vacation I didn't do too bad. I was very impressed with Mike and Hannah who stuck together and did a run/walk to finish strong. Hannah had the biggest smile on her face and I told her she did awesome and I was very proud of her. The best part was her response, "I'm proud of me too."  Such an awesome kid!
Moosefest 5K
After a long day and even longer night in a pop-up camper surrounded by thirsty young folk I rolled myself out of bed to run some beautiful miles around the lake.
Lots of "toys" to stay busy
Everyone was still sleeping so I quietly dressed and prepared for my run. As I started walking, waiting for my watch to link, it felt like I was being followed. I just blew it off and began my run. Before I knew it out of no where this uninvited guest was right beside me full of energy and ready for something I apparently was not. I was a bit annoyed as I didn't know how to handle this awkward situation. I didn't invite them along and I sure wasn't up for any companionship. Her energy level was annoyingly impressive. Even with a few bathroom breaks she caught back up to me without much effort. Ugh, how can I get rid of this pest.
 
I enjoyed the view of the lake and all of the beautiful houses that I wished could be mine one day. I left my ear buds in and tried to forget the fact that I wasn't alone. We ran 2.5 miles with little conversation, so I decided to turn back thinking maybe I would catch a break. No such luck. She turned with me and now I had another 2.5 miles left trying to figure out what to do. She was gliding back and forth across the street and I found myself apologizing to people as she ran up to greet them like a sugared up elf.
 
Finally at mile 5 she stopped to take a break or something and I lost her. I was actually a little disappointed. Here I hadn't even notice that I was watching out for her the whole time. When cars drove by I looked around to see where she was. I stopped once to talk to her briefly and she did seem to make everyone we met happy.
 
OK maybe you caught on that I was talking about a dog but a running partner can be anyone or anything I guess.  
Meet Bella
Apparently she's a free spirit who makes her way around the lake to greet many different people. I had no idea where she came from and I wasn't sure if I'd get her even more lost by following me. I also didn't want her following me back to the house we were at. When I realized she was in for the long haul I tried to keep her away from cars and close to me.
 
As we met another runner and lots of walkers I felt like I had to say, "Sorry, it's not my dog."  She was so full of energy and had to sniff everyone and everything. She was pretty well behaved and listened when I called her pooch. She obeyed the "sit" command for me to take a few pictures of her.
 
 At mile 5 when she disappeared I kept looking back thinking she might find me again but she never did. As much as I didn't want her following me she turned out to be a pretty good running buddy. Although it was a bit stressful feeling somewhat responsible for her it was also a nice little change. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Or do you have a family dog you always run with? Every dog I've ever run with (on purpose) has tripped me.
 
Side note: I guess I've been followed by dogs before but never very far and I usually know whose dog it is or what yard they came from. Silly animals!

Comments

  1. They make great companions. They just run next to you and don't talk. Sure was a beautiful animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still recovering from a fall I had during a run (8 months ago!) so I am terrified of anything that might trip me up. But it sounds like you had fun! And I have a feeling the miles flew by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment