You Can't Win Them All

I ran for the first time since Grandma's marathon yesterday. The wonderful thing about running is you quickly forget how awful racing is and start focusing on your next goal. It's been said that while running a marathon most runners say they will never run another one. But there are many crazy thoughts that take over while running. Here's a funny YouTube video I found called Marathon Thoughts.
 
 
 
I never told myself I wouldn't ever run another marathon but I did tell myself I would not run another one this year. My running friend Brock text me post race: Bemidji?
I text back: It doesn't sound appealing but ask me in a few days.
 
So a few days later I was convinced that I was going to run the Bemidji Marathon and hit the goal I was hoping for at Grandma's. Luckily only the last half of the race sucked and not the entire thing.
 
So here's a race recap.
 
My ultimate goal was to get a sub 3:40 to qualify for Boston. I would have been happy with a 3:50 and ok just to PR. I lined up with the 3:35 pace group since there was no 3:40 pacer. I figured I would hang as long as I could but not fall behind the 3:45 or I'd be done for. So for the first 7 miles things were going great. I was in front the 3:35 group and everything felt really good. However, after mile 7 I had to break out the iPod to help with my mental poop party (my hope was to wait until mile 20). Not good.
 
So as the mental part starting kicking in way too early my calves also started to tighten up. This has never ever happened before. I can usually make it through the mental part but this pain just kept getting worse. I stretched a bit when I took my first BR break but the relief didn't last long. I kept pretty good pace but I knew things were getting ugly. I wasn't enjoying the view, people, music, or anything else. I kept repeating two mantras:
 
1. Run, walk, crawl if you have to. Just finish.
2. Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
 
I was hot, thirsty (even wearing my hydration pak), and in pain. Right before mile 15 I saw a very familiar face. Kent was right beside me pointing and smiling. I was hoping for some relief or motivation but things were getting worse. He ran ahead after a brief conversation and I thought about trying to follow him but my energy was gone. Then a few miles later I saw another familiar face. Kent's wife Lori blew right past me. Well she did point at me like Kent did but she was in a zone.
 
Then I need another BR break. Dumb stomach. I stopped at two JJ's (portable toilets named Jimmy's Johnnys) that were both occupied. I waited, and waited, and waited. Then another woman came to wait beside me. A spectator ran over and said, "I have toilet paper if you want to hit the woods." I had toilet paper too but I kept trying to decide if it was worth it. I kept imagining the JJ opening up as soon as I started to squat behind a tree. So I waited, and waited, and waited. The door went from red to green and I could hear a guy coughing. What the heck? Is he done? Did he fall over? Is he sick?
Nope. He finally took his sweet old time coming out and he wasn't even a runner. It was some elderly man just casually using the JJ. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face. That is an ABSOLUTE off limits spot to any non-runner. Both my BR breaks set me back 6 minutes (I only stopped my watch for these breaks). That's way too long.
 
I watched so many racers pass while I waited for that man. Then as I started running again I saw the 4:00 group pass me and I knew my goals were not going to be achieved. The last 6 miles were killer on me. I grabbed every sponge I could get my hands on to squeeze on my head. Love those sponges! I ate half of a banana which made my mouth even more dry. I grabbed a strawberry while I took a walk break and pouted a little. I tried to cry but no tears really came. I thought I would try to at least walk at a 13 minute mile pace but speed was not happening. I looked at my watch and I was over a 17 minute mile. It was bad and getting worse. So I slowly made myself start running again. My calves were on fire and I started feeling sick. I grabbed ice, PowerAde, water, tried eating my Sports Beans, but nothing worked. I called Mike at mile 20 and told him I didn't think I was going to finish. I did a walk/run about every mile until the finish. I had a few people ask if I was ok and a few drunk guys yelled, "Yeah, you rock! You can do it! Wooooo!" Then I saw a few other guys on the opposite side of the road trying to hand out shots with a lime. I thought about it but instead I started to run again.
 
As we ran through downtown Duluth I made myself keep going because there were so many spectators and photographers. I gave some fake smiles and just kept pushing myself. Then I saw Mike and Caley but that didn't help my motivation either. I chatted with them while I walked a bit and then knew I had less than a mile to the finish. I pushed myself through and finished in 4:16:39. I thought my watch was right with a 4:10 but forgot I stopped it for the two BR breaks. Dang that old man.
 
I was disappointed, cold, in pain, and couldn't find anyone I knew. I was a bit lost and confused but so glad that I had finished. When I finally found Mike I couldn't figure out how to get out of the finishers corral. Mike told me to climb over the barricade but I told him he was crazy if he thought I could climb anywhere. I headed towards the medic tent crying and wanting to go home. They took me in and quickly gave me a bed. I was stripped of my wet shirt and bra and given a dry sweatshirt Mike had bought while waiting for me. Then they packed me with warm water balloons and blankets. A physical therapist was sent over to stretch and massage my legs and another volunteer helped me drink warm water. The doctor asked if they could take my temperature and I agreed but he said, "Well the kicker is we only have a rectal thermometer." You've got to be kidding me. My temperature was a bit low so they kept me bundled for a bit so I could warm up before I left the tent into the rain.
 
I usually beat myself up pretty good when I don't fully succeed but for everything I went through I'm just happy I finished. My time could have been much worse but luckily I ran a good first half. 
 
I believe I may have over hydrated and lost too much potassium through urination. I was not eating bananas or any other high potassium food like I should have been. It never even crossed my mind since I've never cramped up like that in my calves. Live and learn.
 
I'm ready to get the speed and nutrition balanced out so I can get that sub 3:40. I'm really tempted to run the TCM again in October since it's a Boston qualifying race but we'll see.
 
What did I learn from this race? And what can you learn from me? Remember- never give up. The road behind you stay behind you. Move forward with perseverance.
 
 
 
 
Want to see my results? Click here (but focus on the first half).

Comments

  1. You are kidding about the rectal thermometer. right???
    Oh, and I would have wanted to punch old man in the face too!!
    That video is hilarious. I laughed so hard my head hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were joking, and to make matters even worse the doctor was a cute young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me cringe!, Sorry to hear that Lori.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment