I "Should" on Myself. Do You?

I think I'm going to print a few of these fact sheets so I can have the kids hide them for me all around the house. I need daily reminders of my goals (like running isn't enough) and this is a good little motivation booster. It'd be fun to go to a fellow runners house and secretly share these facts with them. It's ok if you rummage through their things just tell them you're both in the same club.

Courtesy of Gone For a RUN

Recently I was told that I keep "should-ing" on my own head. I should do this and I should have known that. I can not read peoples minds nor can they read mine. Repeat that 5 times each day.
I think most people use the words should've, could've, and would've way too many times on a daily basis- me included. Instead how about saying "I will...", "I can..." or "My goal is..."? Yes sometimes it's easier said then done but you'll notice the things you told yourself you couldn't do will end up being done.
If you know you're going to fail do you still try or do you accept defeat? I'd rather try something and fail then to never have tried at all. You learn from failing, you don't learn from never trying. All you get out of that is regret. No one wants to live with regret. That's why the old saying "Live each day as though it were your last" is very relevant.  
 Throughout my years in Martial Arts I partnered up with many different students of all different ranks. There was one fellow student in particular who helped me believe in myself. His name is Jason. At one point we had the same green belt rank so we worked on the same techniques over and over again until we thought they were perfect. I had/have this problem with thinking too much and that usually causes doubt to creep into my head.

 Jason has heard me say time and time again "I can't." But every time I've said it he always smiled and patiently said, "Don't say that. Yes you can!" He was right, because I always did the technique. It might not have been the most graceful but I still did it. Yes there were times when I failed miserably but if I hadn't tried I would have felt lots of regret. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. A few years ago I thanked Jason for what he has done for me- for all of his patience, belief, and motivation. He'll be a very good Shihan one day.
I tell myself quite often that I should take my own advise. Oops, there's that word again. Let's turn that around- I'm going to take my own advice. So what's my advice? Stop worrying about what other people think. Stop letting other people "should" on your head. Stop "should-ing" on your own head. Believe in yourself. Let yourself fail. No more "Well I should..." or "I could've..." because you can't go back in time and you can't predict the future. Do the things YOU want to do. I'm going to!
I've found that running gives you confidence, courage, strength, determination, and so many emotions that are difficult to explain. It changes your life. It makes you want to be better inside and out. It brings you closer to God and all of His beauty that surrounds us. I know running isn't for everyone but if it ever crosses your mind don't say, "I should try it." or "I could never do that." Tell yourself you're going to do it.. and you can do et!
Courtesy of Women's Running Community

Comments