Boston

I feel as though I should touch on this subject a little bit. It's been all over the news and posts on Facebook are overwhelming. As a country we are all in shock and have a hard time wrapping our heads around such senseless violence.
  
Boston is a huge achievement for any runner and most of us can only dream about qualifying. Runners train for several months of the year following plans that recommend running 5-6 times a week. Sacrificing time, sleep, junk food, sanity, sweat, blood, and sometimes tears. They dream about their goal and strive to be fast enough to achieve victory. That finish line means the world to a runner on race day. Seeing that finish line and floating over it like your on top of the world is the most amazing feeling. There's a completeness that takes over your entire body (and a rush of pain). But most importantly a weight is lifted, you stand tall and feel that pride of finally achieving your goal.

It's hard to explain the "relationship" one has with running. It's therapeutic, peaceful, motivating, exhilarating, and good for the soul. It helps you believe in yourself, become closer to God, strive to be better, and set an example for a healthier lifestyle. Sure running sucks, but it sucks in a good way. I sometimes wish all of my friends ran so they could understand this crazy runner's world, but I know running isn't for everyone.
There are a lot of people who say things like:
"Why run when you can drive?"
"Did your car break down?"
"What a waste of time."
"It's bad for your knees."
"Running sucks."
"I would die if I ran more than 3 steps."

Why do I run?
I never wanted to be a runner. I ran track in high school, but that was only short distances and many years ago. When I decided to start running I was 31, done having kids, overweight, and had just joined our local fire department. Having runners already on the department lead to a race being organized. Bryan (fellow FD member) and I decided since the FD was hosting this race we should probably be able to run it. We both wanted to lose weight and get into shape, so that was how it all began.

 We walked a lot and ran as much as we could during that 2 mile race. After completing it Bryan suggested a Couch to 5K program, so I agreed to join him for training. It sucked- we were out of breath, out of shape, complained a lot, and felt really sore. But we kept going. In just 6 weeks we were up to a 5K and entered our first official race- the Jingle Bell Run.

Then somehow Bryan convinced me to train for a half marathon. I really had no desire to run farther than 3 miles but Bryan motivated me to keep going. I drew the line when he said he wanted to run a full marathon. NO WAY! I lied to myself. That next summer I picked up a few Dean Karnazes books and I was forever changed. Those books convinced me that I could run an ultra marathon. Bryan said I better try running a full first so that's just what I did. I trained for months in the heat of summer and spent many hours alone on the road. One of the most unforgettable moments of my life was coming down the hill during the TCM, running by the Cathedral of St. Paul, and seeing that finish line. It's an unexplainable moment.

Yesterday many runners did not get to see the finish line. They didn't get to release all of the emotions that built up inside of them during all of those long months, or possibly years, of training. They didn't get to hear the crowd cheering them on as they completed 26.2 grueling miles. For some this was their first Boston Marathon and for others it may be their last.
When I first heard about the events of Boston I was shocked and confused. The first text I received read "I'm glad I'm not a runner today." and my first thought was It's great to be a runner today. Then I received more texts about bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Why? Why would someone target a marathon? I understand the fact that terrorists choose major events, landmarks, and larger cities but why a running community? Because it's so open? Probably. There are no security checks and there are thousands of people all over carrying bags and backpacks. One of the cool mementos from a race is the cinch bag you get with your race packet. Will they stop handing those out?
So what does this mean for future races? Hopefully not much will change. Mark Knutson, director of the Fargo Marathon, said security will be stepped up a bit for this years event, but how do you cover 26.2 miles outside?
   
Most spectators and runners were left with unexpected emotions of sadness, confusion, anger, and disappointment. As a runner I know this. Runners will not stop running and spectators will not stop watching. We will run stronger and cheer louder. Runners run for freedom not out of fear.

Why do I want to qualify for Boston?
I grew up in New Hampshire and frequently visited Boston for different events. I've been to the Boston airport many times to pick up friends and family members. I had a night out with my sisters at Faneuil Hall and shopped in downtown Boston with my sister Sheri and her kids. As a child I went to the New England Aquarium and several Ice Shows with my grandmother. I've always thought of Boston as this really cool fast paced city filled with people who talk wicked cool. Growing up in a tourist town we had lots of vacationers from Massachusetts. They drove reckless and they weren't afraid to flip you off or give you a piece of their mind. People called them Massholes, but I knew better. We had friends that spent summers down the road from us in their campers and cabins. They just had a certain toughness about them and I looked up to them for that. So, when I started running my family encouraged me to run Boston. They don't realize how fast I have to run to qualify but that's ok. I only need to shave off a measly 20 minutes from my first marathon finish time. I know I can do it because I run for Boston.






Comments