I'm Not Dead Yet

I've run in all kinds of weather over the last few years. Rain, wind, snow, ice, tornado warnings...just the typical runners paradise. When it started snowing this afternoon I thought it looked heavenly but  I was wrong (amazing I know).
 
 
It looks like rain
 
Mike's ski goggles would have come in handy on this run. There was a strong south wind out there so mix that with really wet snow and you get a face dripping with nature's beauty, snot, and spit. Lovely I know. I believe the forecast called for some light snow but wouldn't you know the meteorologists were wrong again.
 
Mike and I headed out for a quick run but the snow was deeper than we expected and the roads were slippery. I bought a pair of Due North Everyday Traction Aids at Sunshine Fest to help me stay upright while running so I gave them a try. They seemed to work well but I did slip a few times, which can be expected when there is a few inches of snow over the ice.
 
 
See my Traction Aids? Geez I'm just resting.
 
So Mike and I ran the "Mike Loop" with very little conversation. My ankle was hurting from my run the night before and the deep snow was making it worse. At one point my eyes were closed from all the snow pounding and melting on my face. I have never been so weather miserable before. Thankfully it was short-lived as we turned east out of the wind so I was able to see again.
 
Mike was grunting in front of me while I tried to keep up. We both wanted it to be over with as quickly as possible. I had always told Mike that his little loop was barely 2 miles but he insisted it was at least that. So I brought my watch along just to be sure. After many moans and groans we arrived back home. I was bent down trying to catch my breath and when I looked up I saw this... 
 
 
Is he dead?

 
Of course I had to go inspect the lifeless body for zombie bites first. Dang it- none.
"You alright?" I asked.
"Yep!"
"Ummm are you sure?"
"Yep!"
"Okay let me go get my camera."
"I'm not going anywhere."
 
I had to sadly inform Mr. Mike that his "Mike Loop" was only 1.69 miles- boom. I think after years of measuring by landmarks I know my mileage fairly well. Don't doubt the Queen.
 
Hopefully the roads will be better for my morning run on this dumb ankle. Miss Pippa will be my inspiration for waking up at 5 a.m.
 




 

Comments