Meeting New People is a Blessing

Yesterday was an amazing day! My friend Tracy and I headed out early to run the 5K at Sunshine Fest and meet our new friends Tim Boyle and Kerri Drees.
On Wednesday I heard Tim on the radio and something about this interview compelled me to want to meet him. I went way outside of my comfort zone on this one but in the end it all paid off.  

When I got home Wednesday I found Tim's name on the QFM Facebook page and sent him a friend request, which he accepted immediately. I started asking him question after question and since he is such a kind-hearted man he answered every single one of them. He also read and posted my blog on his Facebook pages. I've almost hit a record for pageviews so thank you Tim! I am truly blessed with this new friendship.

On Thursday Tim asked if I would like to be a part of the "I run for Michael" movement. Absolutely! It was then that my compelling need to meet this man suddenly started to make sense. I want to be a part of something bigger than me. I want to run for purpose and meaning. In the past 4 days I have been overloaded (in a good way) with lots of information and knowledge.

Tim decided to start "running for Michael" after Michael Wasserman, a 50 year old man with Down syndrome, commented on a Facebook post of Tim's. The post was about running and finding inspiration from people who can't run and what they would give for these gifts others take for granted. Michael said, "You can run for me anytime Tim!"

Michael had been inspiring Tim for several months with his therapeutic paintings, so Tim decided he wanted to run in Michael's honor. He also hopes to encourage others to send him [Michael] friend requests, which in turn would increase the viewership of Michael's extraordinary paintings.


Magic by Michael Wasserman

So yesterday Tim ran his first 5K in Michael's honor. It was a very touching moment when he crossed the finish line. Kerri was there to cheer him on.


Since the run Tim has been in contact with the mother of Pippa Luke- a four month old Australian girl with Down syndrome. Pippa also has a heart murmur due to a hole in her heart and is awaiting tests to determine if she will need open heart surgery. I felt so honored when Tim asked if I would run for Pippa. I would love to!

Along with Pippa's mother Tim has been talking with the mother of Kannon Justen, from the Minneapolis area. Kannon is a one year old who also has Down syndrome and is awaiting open heart surgery.

These two wonderful children are now connected with runners who will compete in their honor. Tim hopes others will find inspiration in this and join the cause to raise awareness for these blessed individuals. If you would like to become a member of the "I Run for Michael" Facebook page please let me know if you can't request an invite and I will send you one. Or like this page.


Our new friend Tim



Comments

  1. Hi! I am Kannons Mom and am so touched by the sentiment behind this. I learned about it as a friend of Michaels and am now blessed to have Amy honoring my sweet Son. What you are doing for Pippa is so beautiful. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so honored to be a part of this and to be able to share everyone's stories. I will try to blog about it as much as I can so I'd appreciate any stories or pictures anyone is willing to share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment