Yakety Yaktrax

 
When I committed myself to Insanity again my intention was to also dedicate a few week nights and the weekends to running. I ran a total of 4 miles last week. Yep I only ran one night and that was it. I was just too busy during the week to squeeze a run in and then we got some nasty freezing rain on Friday. Everything was covered in a thick layer of ice and I just wasn't very confident in my Olympic skating abilities. I hate when weather conditions ruin my plans.

So I think it's time to try some sort of traction control. Bryan talked to a mother runner in Warroad who uses Yaktrax in the winter. She said she really likes them even though she can feel them under her foot.
 
"Abrasion-resistant, hand-wound stainless-steel coils cover the bottom of your shoes to bite into packed snow and ice."
 
 
 
That was my main concern with adding something under my shoe- being able to feel it which could cause discomfort. I don't want my feet to hurt any more than they already do from my overpronating.

Last night the main roads were dry but the side streets were still pretty icy. Even running on the shoulder when we met cars was a bit unstable so we reduced the speed until we could get back on dry ground. We came up with an emergency code "MAN DOWN!" just in case. Luckily I was running with an EMT, but unfortunately for him I just hurdle bodies and send help when I return from my completed run. Sorry! I'm kidding. I actually helped a lady up off the ground Saturday when she slipped and hit her head on the concrete. That ice was ugly stuff.
 
This will be my fourth winter running and I have never used any type of traction control device- ever. I've slipped a few times and fell once last year (a first) so I've been lucky thus far. Just in case I think I will order some Yaktrax to help prevent injuries and limit my excuses.
 

Comments