The Marathon: Part 2

Mike and I left with our friends Dave and Deann Friday morning shortly after I slipped on ice on our deck and slide down every step with my back. Needless to say my back was bruised and my right arm was not functioning very well. Ugh, just kill me now. I needed to get away and I was hoping once we got far from any snow things would start to look up. Thankfully I was right. We took a detour to a church in Buckman where Deann's grandparents were married. Of course I had to snap some of my own shots. This is about to turn into a photo blog so hang in there.
 
 
Beautiful old Catholic Church
 
We finally made it to the motel and checked in with the man behind 2 inches of bulletproof glass. I later noticed bars on the windows of the managers room. According to Deann Dave will never pick the hotel again. At least it didn't have mold in it like the one we stayed at for the Fargo Mini Marathon last year. That was so bad.
 
 
You wouldn't think it'd be so bad located just a few blocks from the state capital.
 
We headed over to the expo at the Riverwalk Center to pick up our race packets and check out all the vendors. I bought my 26.2 hooded sweatshirt as a reward, although I was a bit nervous about actually finishing the marathon. There were so many different vendors, seminars (I missed the good one), and lots of free stuff. I picked up my Girls on the Run shirt, got a free Twin Cities headband in my race bag, free arm warmers with the purchase of a pair of socks, free bags, food samples, and lots of cool information. I was really worried about how I was going to dress for the cooler weather so I bought a pair of lightweight pants and I bought the socks just so I could get a free pair of arm warmers. I figured that way if I got warm and had to chuck them I wouldn't care because I didn't spend any money on them. Same thing with the headband- free, chuck, who cares.
 
Pretty impressive

When we got back to the motel Mike and I decided to take a walk in hoodlum town to check things out, and of course to get some cool night photos of the capitol. It was too bad there was scaffolding everywhere around the building. I think the security guy was watching us like a hawk.


Beautiful at night

On the street in front of the capitol there were vendor tents, trailers, and lots of porta-potty's set up for the weekend events.


The Brooks Trailer

I was standing right by the finish line and couldn't wait for Sunday to be over with. I tried to imagine what it would be like crossing the finish line but I couldn't put myself there quite yet. I continued to snap more photos but without a tripod at night it's close to impossible. Mike did not make a very good brace to lean against and it was cold so we headed back to the luxury motel.

At 2 a.m. some guy in the room next to us started screaming what sounded like someones
 name. And not in any kind of kinky way either. He was calling out to someone as if needing more toilet paper in the bathroom. It had already taken me so long to fall asleep with all the coughing
I was doing and then that guy had to be a freak in the middle of the night. Thanks a lot weird
guy in the room next to us.
 
Saturday morning Dave and I headed out for a short run. We found our shuttle bus pick-up spot for Sunday and experimented with layering for the cold. We were a bit warm with just a couple layers on at 37 degrees but race morning was predicted at 30. I spent a lot of time worrying about what I was going to wear during the race. I never brought a long sleeve shirt because I assumed the Girls on the Run shirt would be long sleeve. Hence the need for the arm warmers. We also made a trip to Target where I bought a running tank to wear under my see through white GOTR shirt. Ugh, I was so not prepared.

Then of course I had to think about my pre-race meal. I usually drink tea and eat a bagel with peanut butter. Although our room did have a microwave there was no toaster and I didn't dare drink the water. I never did get my bagel and had to add that to my list of worries.

We went back over by the capital to check out the 5K and 10K finishers and the vendors who were set up by the finish. I had a feeling that on Sunday I wouldn't want or be able to take much in after the race so we got as much out of it as we could.

Looking at the finish with the Cathedral of Saint Paul in the background
The view of the Cathedral was amazing and I started to get more nervous for race day. I was told that once I rounded the corner on Summit Ave. and saw that structure I could breathe easy because that meant I was almost finished.

We watched the 5K racers...

 

...then the family 1 mile...

 

...followed by the "everybody fall down to impress the kids" Mascot Dash.

Yes that mascot is a urine cup

After all that excitement we were able to enjoy some of the amazing sites of the city.

Cathedral of Saint Paul, which was just as amazing on the inside.


The State Capitol (in daylight).



The Monument to the Living "Why do you forget us?"

 
Rocking out with Radio Disney
 

Lunch in the city
 

The Science Museum and Tornado Alley in the Omnitheater.



All of those things were a great distraction but I needed a little bit more to prepare for my 26.2 miles of death. So we (only for my sake) headed back over to the expo for the seminar "First time Marathoner?" There was a panel of 5 elite runners to answer rookie questions and give us their expert advice. Most of it I already knew but it was nice to hear it from the more experienced.
 
Highlights:
Don't panic if you don't sleep; it's not that important the night before; you won't sleep anyway.
Go slow in the beginning.
Use the bathroom when you need it. It will just weigh on your mind the whole run if you don't.
Dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer.
Don't grab the first water- go farther down.
Make eye contact with the person handing you the water.
Crunch the cup to make drinking easier.
Arrive 1.5 hours before race.
Bring warm clothes for when you finish- you'll cool off fast
*Cramps- hydrate, stop and massage area
*Chaffing- Bodyglide, Aquaphor (my favorite)
 
When asked what they eat post race: Vodka Martini, broth, chocolate milk (even if lactose intolerant). Eat even when you don't want to.
 
Advice on pace groups: There are 300-400 people following a pacer. Watch for the pace sign and balloons. If you lose the group don't panic. Wear a pace band to see where you should be at each mile. There are clocks throughout the course at certain mile marks. Slowly catch up throughout a few miles, don't sprint to catch up.
 
Last piece of advice:
#1"You've worked hard- tomorrow is your reward."
#2 "Thank a volunteer and give high-fives."
#3 "Tomorrow's your victory lap- thank everyone who supported you."
#4 "Use the highs and don't worry about the lows- just keep going."
#5 Whatever happens don't panic, you'll be fine, breathe, make it to the finish."
 
Just what I needed to hear!
 
To be continued (again)...
 
 
 
 


 

Comments