Smoke Eaters

Red Flag Warning- also known as a Fire Weather Warning is a forecast warning issued by the United States National Weather Service to inform area firefighting and land management agencies that conditions are ideal for wildland fire ignition, and rapid propagation. After drought conditions, and when humidity is very low, and especially when high or erratic winds which may include lightning are a factor, the Red Flag Warning becomes a critical statement for firefighting agencies. These agencies often alter their staffing and equipment resources dramatically to accommodate the forecast risk. To the public, a Red Flag Warning means high fire danger with increased probability of a quickly spreading vegetation fire in the area within 24 hours.
 
My dad is a retired volunteer Firefighter with over 30 years of service. In all those years (probably my entire life) I never really understood the commitment my dad made until I became a firefighter over 3 years ago. I remember the tones that came from his scanner and I learned at a very young age which tones would send him running out the door. If I was unlucky enough to be in a vehicle with him when he got called out I had to sit and wait at the Fire Station until he got back. I spent many hours there, but thankfully there was a pool table and other things to keep me semi-occupied while I patiently waited. I loved trying his gear on, I loved sitting in the trucks, I loved the way the station smelled, and I loved all of my dad's fellow department members. Outside of that Fire Station I really had no idea what went on.
 
Now all these years later I'm the one running out the door with my shoes half on. I often wonder if my dad has been through the same situations that I have been through- fairly certain. I don't think there were many, if any, grass fires where I grew up though. With the very dry summer that we've had most of our calls lately have been grass fires. This past weekend we were called to a grass fire for mutual aid to a surrounding community. We spent 4 hours at the original fire but while we were fighting that one we could see another one starting up. The second fire grew really big in a short amount of time. We were out there for a total of 12 hours and I was exhausted beyond what I even thought was possible. If I stood still for too long my eyes would get really heavy and my body would slowly start to relax. My legs started to buckle a little and I'd be jerked awake before the ground hit my face (not the other way around). We were hungry, thirsty, tired, and cold. We had bread and bologna (best sandwich ever) and 7up. The DNR was gracious enough to bring us breakfast in the morning but the lack of sleep was torturous. As we were waiting to be released I did end up falling asleep on the ground. I don't know how people in the military do it- much respect to them.
 
I started getting a cold last Wednesday and vitamins were helping...until I inhaled acres of smoke. By the time I had finally showered and was able to lay down it was noon on Sunday afternoon. No way I was getting a run in. Before I fell asleep I heard another page go out for mutual aid but I couldn't get up. I was wiped out. Then while I was sleeping we got paged out again for mutual aid. I was later told that my pager went off and the siren in town was blaring but I never heard it. I was knocked out. When I finally woke up at 5:30 p.m. I headed back out to look for our crew so I could help. Apparently there wasn't much to help with so we came back in. I didn't get to sleep again until around 11:00 that night.
 
Monday night we were getting vehicles ready to go help with mop up on Tuesday and I decided I better squeeze in my 3 miles before anything else went array. My throat was burning the whole time and I kept asking myself how in the world I was going to run a marathon in 6 days. If I had 3 miles down and 23 to go that night I might have been in trouble. I ran back to the station and heard our department wasn't needed on Tuesday so I headed back home.
 
Tuesday morning was rough and Bryan said he couldn't run so I laid in bed a bit longer. Although I had every intention of getting up to run alone I fell back to sleep- figures. 
Side Note: Anytime you tell yourself to run in the morning because something always comes up later in the day, listen to yourself.
I was at work when Bryan called me around 1:30 to tell me our department was called for mutual aid in Viking. It sounded like the fire was close to some of our friends homes and just 8 miles from our town. I'm fortunate that my job allowed me to leave early so I could go help. While driving home to get my gear I could see the smoke easily from 10 miles away. I've never seen that much smoke in my life. A friend called to ask about her house and her dogs. I suggested she go get the dogs if they would allow her in. I was listening to the local radio station report from one of the intersections by the fire when our Fire Chief came on and advised people to stay away from the area. At that moment I knew the situation was very serious. The smoke was thick and the fire was moving quickly with the 40 mph winds.
 
When I finally got to the fire my heart sank as I saw friends packing their vehicles with personal belongings from their homes. The fire was moving quickly and houses were right in its path. I don't know exactly how many departments were on scene but I know of at least 6 plus the DNR. On top of that there were farmers, contractors, and neighbors plowing and dozing lines to contain the fire.
 
Fire coming at us from the west
The food and water donations started pouring in from Wal-mart, Hugo's, Digi-Key, Northwest Beverage, countless individuals, friends, family, and residents of the area. Even with the threat of losing their houses residents offered food, water, bathrooms, equipment, and lots of support. It's a great feeling to know that all of those people were there to support all of us in any way they could.
 
 I saw wildlife running out of the woods- lots of deer, rabbits, gophers, and some other critter burnt up trying to escape. One of our firefighters even saw a rabbit on fire but he said it was too fast for him to catch it. The smoke was burning my throat and it was so hard to breathe. There were a few times I had to run through it and my shroud was not helping. Well I'm sure that it was but it sure didn't seem like it. I was spitting, coughing, and there was all kinds of stuff running down my face. I think I drank at least 8 bottles of water but only used the bathroom once.
 
When the wind finally died down and lines were plowed the fire started to lose strength. There were two car accidents and a few sheds and a garage was lost but all the houses remained protected. Another fire that was about 25 miles north of us in Karlstad didn't fair as well.
 
Courtesy of Brad Johnson
 
While walking through a field I asked a fellow NARC runner how I was going to make it through the marathon and he said,"One step at a time." Maybe he's used to sucking down smoke days before a race since he's been doing both for so many years. I on the other hand couldn't even talk to a customer on the phone today without coughing up a lung. My voice is hoarse, my nose is runny, and I can't stop coughing. Plus I have a blister on the back of my heel from my boots.On a better note, I am $15 away from making my goal for Team Girls on the Run. God is good and things will get better!
 

Comments