My First Marathon

We had another interesting night in the motel Saturday. It was actually early Sunday morning around 3 a.m. when we heard loud thumping in the room above us. Again not in a kinky way but it was a very strange and loud thumping/jumping/banging noise. Mike thought it sounded like someone was doing Insanity and Dave said he was waiting for gun shots. Again, thanks a lot to whomever woke us up in the middle of the night. I guess the guy at the seminar did say we wouldn't sleep the night before anyway.

We were awake by 4:45 and started getting ready so we could catch the shuttle bus to the Metrodome by 6. This was the first time I'd ever showered before a run but I figured I might as well look good while I'm dying. I didn't have much to eat either which is also a first on a long run. No tea or bagel with peanut butter- just some granola. I changed out of the pants I bought at the expo and put on my loose ones. I didn't want to overheat but I didn't want to be cold either. I hydrated well in the days before but didn't drink much the morning of. I was questioning every decision I made. The worst part was that Mike wasn't going to be with me. I wouldn't see him again until mile 8 and I was really bummed about it. But ready or not the day had finally arrived.

At the Dome we came across Lori and Kent who are fellow NARC runners (small world). We sat beside them for a while and it was then that I realized 3 out of the 4 of us were going to wear shorts during the race. Crap! I text Mike and asked him to bring my shorts in case I needed to make a quick change.

We all went our own ways and I was left nervous and a bit lost. We were all in different corrals and I had no idea which direction I needed to go. There were people everywhere. I dashed off to the bathroom and knew that would be my last opportunity. Find my corral was not that difficult but making my way through a crowd was not easy. I spotted the pacer with the balloons and 4:00 sign but I needed to get closer to him. I followed other runners as they pushed through the crowd until I got as close as I was comfortable with. Then I waited.

I watched clothes go flying through the air but felt pretty good about how I was dressed. I had three free items on that could be stripped and chucked without guilt if necessary. I also had pockets and knew at mile 8 I could give anything I didn't want to Mike.

The 30 minutes we had to wait went by fairly quickly and before I knew it the National Anthem was playing. I knew once the gun went off it would be a while before I saw the start line and I was perfectly fine with that.

And then it happened...I started to run. I wasn't nervous or worried anymore and my plan fell right into place. By sticking with the 4:00 pacer I didn't start out too fast and I wasn't constantly worried about the miles and the time. Mile by mile went by but they were just numbers. I actually completely missed mile 7 and before I knew it there was mile 8. I broke the race down in three parts. The first 10 miles, the next 10 miles, and then the last 6. Thinking about the whole 26.2 was just way too overwhelming.


Mile 8

Tough moments:
Someone stepped on the back of my shoe which took it completely off my foot. I was panicking until I got got it back on and caught back up to the pacer. Then some lady poked me on my bruised back at one water station and said something so I moved out of her way but she never passed me. Hands off lady! I had to use the bathroom from about mile 10 until I finally gave in at mile 18 and dashed for the porta-potty. I wanted to gradually get ahead of the pacer, use the pot, then hop right back in with the group but that never happened. I kept passing break areas because the lines were too long and didn't want to waste time waiting- yeah right. Even the pacer didn't bother with that and just wiped it out on the side of the road and went...way easier for men. I luckily only had to wait less than a minute and I realized rather quickly that the elite runners were right. If you have to go than go because it will weigh on you until you do. I felt so much better after that but I worried about catching back up to the pacer. It was time to break out the iPod. That put a lot of steam back in me and off I went to run the rest of my race.

It felt as though the brick wall had been removed and the weight on my shoulders was finally lifted. It's so hard to explain all the emotions I experienced but they were all good ones. I was happy! I was more than happy- I was ecstatic. I couldn't stop smiling and I couldn't have asked for the run to have gone any better than it did. I did have a few tough moments but they were short lived. I wasn't sure if my sub 4 hour goal was realistic but once the pacer was out of eye sight I knew I had it. I knew I could've pushed myself more but I wanted this experience to be just what it was- incredible.
Cause I’m on top of the world
I’m on top of the world
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile
Been holding it in for a while...
 
I definitely held it in for a while and it felt so good to let it out. I don't want this high to ever go away. I find myself smiling at random moments throughout the day when I think about the TCM. I don't remember ever being so proud of myself. The last two miles were the best. I was smiling, singing, fist pumping, and it felt like I was flying.
 

Love the thumbs up in the back.
 

Kent passed me at mile 23 and I was so happy to see him but not as happy as when I saw that Cathedral. I flew down that hill towards the finish line where I saw the 4:00 pacer waving his flag with balloons. I think I might have even pointed at him like "You're the man." I remember the clock reading 4:02:38 and although I didn't think too much about it I knew I could subtract a few minutes from that since I didn't cross the start line right away. I got a little choked up when I received my medal but I held it in. I sucked down some chocolate milk and tried to eat a roll but couldn't swallow it down. So I just tried to get the heck out of there and find a familiar face. Mike wasn't allowed anywhere near the finish but I saw him at mile 8 and 13. I made my first phone call...to Bryan. I have trained with him over the last 3 years and I thought since he couldn't be there with me he at least deserved the first call. He was the one who gave me my official time of 3:58:29. I DID IT!
 
 
This song sums it up for me 100%
 
 

Comments

  1. I love this song. Great meaning! Stay On Top Of The World my darling! You did great and met and surpassed your goal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment