Should Have Known Better

I think I have finally recovered from my 14 mile run on Friday. I didn't have many of the common signs of dehydration during this run but as soon as I got home things got really bad really fast. For some reason I have always had issues with hydrating properly. This is the second time I've experienced dehydration to this extend and I must say that it is a very miserable experience. The first time should have been enough of a lesson for me but apparently my body does not communicate very well with my brain. The excess loss of body fluid seems to be a very common occurrence for me.
 
I woke up Friday morning feeling like I was hungover. I had a headache, I was weak, and I felt dehydrated- Clue #1. So I drank water throughout the day (not enough) and was careful not to eat anything that might upset my stomach. My plan was to run 14 miles that evening and then another 14 early Saturday morning. It basically came down to the fact that I didn't have enough time in my schedule to run the whole 28 miles in one shot. So my best option was to break it up.

Plans change, and they change again, and they change again. Thems the breaks, or there goes the breaks, or whatever that saying is.

 I ended up working late Friday because I had a few situations to deal with and I was not happy about it. So knowing I would need a good 2 hours of run time I was in a rush to get home and finish before it started to get dark outside. I was out the door just after 5 and I could tell right away that it was going to be a long run. My calves felt sore just in the first mile- Clue #2. My iPod kept me company and the traffic kept me distracted from my wandering thoughts. I had to stop a few times to get pebbles out of my sock from running on the shoulder of the road so much. It's not good when Aquaphor helps the grass, pebbles, and dirt stick to my ankles and legs. It actually really hurts when it gets between the sock and the shoe. Although the pebble breaks were very short they probably were much needed.

I wore my hydration pak and drank water from that the whole run, plus I had gum to keep some moisture. I didn't get the chills, stop sweating, feel exhausted, cramp up, or even think that I was possibly dehydrated. There really wasn't a reason for me to think that I was. My first experience with dehydration resulted in a lot of walking; I felt sick, thirsty, tired, weak, etc. This time it was different.

At mile 11 I was cruising along feeling pretty sore when I notice a shadow from a vehicle getting pretty close to me on the right. As I looked over my shoulder there was a fairly large vehicle crossing lanes to get right on my tail. Oh Great!

"Get out of the road lady!" I just about jumped out of my shoes. Lovely- my friend Jana! She had a Tahoe full of kids and here I was jamming out to Taylor Swift (I sang them a little ditty).

Side note: Tinted windows are for gangsta' moms. Just sayin'

We chatted for a few minutes and I told her if I ever made it home I'd come see her at the football game. She did offer me a ride and I guess I should have accepted but most days my motto is "Die before you quit." Yep that's how I roll. Anyway I finally finished my run and headed straight for the shower. Mike was making steak and potato's on the grill so the plan was to eat and go to the game.

As soon as I stepped out of the shower my stomach started to turn. I refused to believe I was getting sick so I got dressed and sat at the table and forced myself to eat. It was bad. I had to rest my head on the table a few times and finally I gave up. I couldn't eat and the nausea was so overwhelming. I laid on the couch and kept telling myself to suck it up and go to the game. I couldn't do it. I was about to throw up...and I did. I felt a little better after that but very depleted.

How can I manage to do this again at 5 a.m.? Deep down I knew I wouldn't be able to run again for a few days but the stubborn mule in me still set my alarm so I could give it a shot. Well I guess I know when my bodies had enough because when that alarm went off Saturday morning I went right back to bed. I had a martial arts clinic to attend all day Saturday and I wasn't sure how I would even make it through that. Then there was worrying about when I was going to get my second 14 miler in.

I felt tired, weak, dehydrate, frustrated, and down in the dump all weekend. I never ran the other 14 miles. Heck I never even ran 3 miles. Since Friday night I haven't even wanted to run. I need to run but I really don't want to. This is very bad. There's only three weeks left until the marathon and here I am at the "wall". This really can't be happening. I've been training for months. Running every day. Listening to the jokes, the compliments, the encouragement, the wise cracks. Being in the paper, seen on the streets, getting my own domain. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Why now? Why me?

Ok I'm being a bit dramatic. Tomorrow I will be running 6 miles and I'm sure everything will be just fine. Just you wait and see!

 
 
 

Comments