GOTR

So it's finally official- I'm registered for the Twin Cities Marathon. I received the confirmation Thursday and I'm so thankful to Girls on the Run Twin Cities for letting me join their charity team. I need to raise another $130 to reach my goal for GOTR but my confirmation guarantees me a spot.

The way it works is pretty simple. Pick a charity, raise some money, and then go race. Super easy!
I chose to fund raise for GOTR through an online site called Crowdrise. The two level options available were Solemate ($275 goal) and Super Solemate ($1000 goal). With both programs you get a women's tech running shirt, weekly check-in emails, and a marathon bib. But at the Super level your race registration fee of $125 is covered. Not everyone has to register through a charity of course but it's a good thing.

To be totally honest the only reason why I did it this way was because it was my last option to get in the race. Registration for TCM was already closed when I tried to sign up but the charity teams were still looking for runners. I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to signing up for big races, but luckily I was accepted onto team GOTR.

"Girls on the Run is a transformational learning program for 8 to 13 year-old girls. We teach life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness." (Courtesy of girlsontherun.org)

I'm really glad that I found this charity because I otherwise would not have known anything about it. Doesn't GOTR seem perfect for a mom who runs and has 5 daughters? I now have a charity to contribute to annually.

I chose to sign up at the Solemate level because I just wasn't sure that I could raise $1000 (although I would like to). Plus, whatever I don't raise gets charged to my credit card. Not something I want to take chances with. So, my registration was $125 and my fund raising goal is $275.

Time to buckle down- eat healthy, gets lots of sleep, hydrate, don't skimp on miles, and keep working on speed. Speed is my biggest concern but I have a plan for improving in that area. I can't wait until that road is behind me.

 
 

Comments

  1. I know you can do it. That's a good charity to team up with. Hopefully you can get at least 1 of your daughters to start running with you and gaining the benefits of fitness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment