Let's Get Caught Up

I got all my miles in last week except Saturday, but I did not beat myself up over it because I had a 24 miler on Sunday. Hiya, take that Saturday 3 mile run. Actually I planned on running a local 5K race Saturday morning but I just wasn't feeling well. I tried drinking some tea and even settled on running at home but I felt dehydrated and nauseous- not a good combo. So instead I slept until 9:30!

 Friday night we went to supper with some friends and for the first time in I don't know how long I pigged out on ice cream. Well actually I just got the "like it" size at Cold Stone Creamery but after devouring a big meal there wasn't room for anything else. I decided to try the All Lovin' No Oven that has cake batter ice cream, cookie dough, fudge, and whipped topping. Sounds good right? Just for the record I love Cold Stone Creamery but I just wasn't lovin' this kind. The ice cream actually tasted like cake batter. Yes I know it's suppose to but I mean it really tasted like cake batter. I thought it would taste more like cake after it was baked but nope it was like eating frozen Pillsbury cake batter. For some odd reason I ate all of it by myself, and therein lies the rub.

Since I wasted most of my morning Saturday I didn't get anything that I wanted to get done, but I did get a whole lot of yummy corn. A friend of mine invited me to her in-laws for some corn pickin'. Yeehaw! Just kidding, I don't think anyone really says that anymore. They pick, shuck, cut, bake, and freeze corn. I did learn that it's quite a long and intense process, especially when you have so much corn. Who knew? Well I guess farmers do but I am no farmer. Hannah and I got to pick (well I held the bag), shuck, and taste the wonderfully sweet corn for ourselves. Hannah actually helped and learned way more than I did.

 I found a recipe for Taco Soup on allrecipes.com and used this fresh corn in it, soooo good.



I'd hate any going to waste

Speaking of recipes, I also made my third Too Much Chocolate Cake to bring to a friends for supper Saturday night. Funny story time...

So for Mike's last day of work (he went on his own) I decided to make him the chocolate cake I made for my birthday.

Yep that's the one.


He absolutely loved it and since I'm an awesome wife I wanted to surprise him with one of his very own. So after the Moosefest 5K (this was a week ago) I checked in with the kids, showered, and text Mike asking if he wanted me to join him and the guys for his last hoorah. I was all proud of my beautiful cake, so I carefully placed the pedestal platter in the passenger seat next to me in my van and off I went. The cake made it there just fine and half of it was devoured by the beer bellies. When we left to go back home I had to give Mike a ride to his truck so he held the cake and then placed it on the floor of the van before he got out. I thought about putting it back in the seat beside me but assumed it would be ok on the floor. Boy was I wrong. When I made a left turn all I heard was the clinging sound from the platter falling over. I was in a panic.

Where's the cake? Is it on the floor? Where's the interior light? Why don't I know how to turn the interior light on? Where can I pull over? If it's on the floor I'll just pretend it never happened. Mike will still eat it. He'll never know. I should've put it in the seat. I never drive at night. WHERE IS THE INTERIOR LIGHT?

 Then I saw the flashing lights from a police car. Oh crap! Apparently in the process of trying to see where the cake landed and trying to find the interior light I was a little heavy with my foot on the gas.

I'll just explain what happened with the cake. Clearly they'll see it's on the floor. Where do I pull over? I've never been pulled over in town. Do I go to the next street? They'll think I'm fleeing if I don't pull over soon.

By this time I'm starting to sweat and I finally pull over where I think I'm safely out of traffic. Then I get the bright spotlight shot right at the van so I'm blinded. I sweat even more. I can now see that the cake landed inside of the lid so it's safe from the floor. I wanted to pick it up but I knew better than to move plus the cake is the reason I was inadvertently speeding.

Before I knew it the police officer was standing at my window shining his flashlight in at me. He said something to me along the lines of hello or good evening maybe and I muttered something back then I got to see his face. I was relieved but very embarrassed. It turns out the police officer was my friends husband. Not that I thought I could talk my way out of a ticket but I was pretty sure he would understand. I started quickly blabbing about the cake and Mike's new job and the cake. Maybe it would have been better if I didn't know him. Oh how embarrassing it was. I wondered if he'd tell his wife but thought he probably wasn't allowed. I asked if it was ok for me to pick the cake up and said I'd offer him a piece but...well you know. No plates, forks, chairs...kind of not the right moment to eat a piece of cake.

He didn't tell his wife but I did, and I also brought that same kind of cake over to their house for supper Saturday night. Once we were invited I knew immediately that I wanted to bring the cake that he never got to try. Hopefully he saw the bit of humor in it and if not at least he thought it tasted good.

Long run wrap-up

The stars were incredible early Sunday morning and I knew it was going to be a good run. Much different from my long run two weeks ago. It was the perfect running temperature, the sky was clear, and there was no wind. I headed out to run the first 10 and then I was going to meet up with Bryan for another 14 miles. Everything was going good around mile 4.5; no cars, no animals, feeling good mentally and physically. Then out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something move on the opposite side of the road. I assumed I was just seeing things since it was still pretty dark outside. So I started shining my headlamp up and down the road and I spotted something. Oh how I wished that it wasn't what I thought it was...

Did you know that a skunk can run at a speed of 10 miles per hour? Those little buggers are faster than I am. Usually when I see a skunk its just slowly waddling along (or dead) but never running. The weird thing is that a friend very recently said he had a skunk running with him and all I could do was laugh. Not so funny when it happens to you. I was hoping it was a cat but quickly realized that it was too low to the ground and it wasn't running like a cat. I slowed down to almost a walk and tried to hang back. I was almost at my turn around point and really just wanted to get there so I could get back to town and away from a possible spraying. I called Mike (not sure why) and woke him up.

Me: What should I do? What if it sprays me? I need to keep going so I can get back.
Mike: You'll be fine.

That was about it. I just watched the skunk run with me for a few hundres meters and then finally it ran down in the ditch. On way back I ran in the middle of the road and prepared for the skunk to attack but it never did (it could have been a ninja skunk).

Then at mile 21 Bryan and I were running down a gravel road past a farm and we spotted something crossing the road ahead of us. Now what? As we were getting closer Bryan said, "I think it's a cow." Huh, well I guess it's not uncommon to have a cow get out of the fence. I joked that if I saw horns I was pushing Bryan in the bulls direction and getting the heck out of there. He said it shouldn't have horns and it turns out he was right but it was a bull. We both just stopped and stared at it. The bull finally spotted us and the stare down was on. First I run with a skunk and now with a bull. Bryan yelled and it finally turned like it was going to run but stopped and stared at us again. I was a little nervous at that point. Bryan yelled again and this time the bull ran down the ditch and jumped back over the fence. I was going to take a picture of it but it seems as though (at least we can joke) we literally scared the crap out of it. Didn't think anyone needed to see that.

So I made it through my 24 miler fairly well. No skunk spray or bull attack anyway. Just some sore calves and a little chaffing on the back from my hydrapak. The best part is I made it back in time for church. I think some smartly pants called me a dedicated saint or something like that. Hardy har har, I just like to get my runs over with and not take all that time away from my family.

Now just two more long runs and I'll be ready for the Twin Cities Marathon. Yikes!


Comments

  1. This is too funny! Only this stuff could happen to you. I can just see your face!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment