Get Rhythm, When You Get the Blues

Oh how I love that good old Johnny Cash song! He has a lot of excellent songs but this one came to mind while I was trying to sum up my running week. I had a lot of emotional ups and downs this week and I definitely had the blues on Thursday and Friday. But like the song says you need to Get Rhythm, When You Get the Blues.

Running is about rhythm, and if you can find the right rhythm while running all the problems of the world seem to melt away. Bryan once said to me, "You never say 'I wish I didn't run this morning.' but you always say 'I wish I did run this morning.'" So true. Very rarely do you feel worse after a run than you did before. My friend Dave doesn't like to wear headphones when he runs and because of his work schedule he usually runs solo. For me that would get very boring, but he says he gets into a zone so he can "...fix all the worlds problems in my head."

Definition according to Wikipedia:
Rhythm (from Greek ῥυθμόςrhythmos, "any regular recurring motion, symmetry"[1]) may be generally defined as a "movement marked by the regulated succession of strong and weak elements, or of opposite or different conditions."[2] This general meaning of regular recurrence or pattern in time may be applied to a wide variety of cyclical natural phenomena having a periodicity or frequency of anything from microseconds to millions of years.

I wasn't able to get much of a rhythm going on Friday mornings run but my body was not at fault. Mother nature decided we finally needed some rain, which is no big deal because I like running in the rain, but it was the lightning that posed the real problem. I was all for continuing on with the lightning bolts visible to the south. However, Bryan said since we could see the lightning that meant it was too close and too dangerous to continue. So we only ran 4 of our planned 6 miles.

The view looking east. You can't see the rain drops but they were there.

I felt kind of dumpy all day so I finally just decided to go home and hang out with my birthday girl. My second born is now 15! I mixed up the last batch of beignet's and ate at least 6 of them. Mike went to this restaurant in New Orleans that made beignet's and apparently they were so good that he had to buy some mix to bring home. It wasn't so easy getting the box of powder through security at the airport and in the process of emptying his entire bag he left my expensive Canon camera at the security checkpoint. After having some lunch he realized that the camera was MIA and he headed back to the search area where he last saw it. Security said they had a camera but needed a description of it. Well being a typical man (no offense men) he didn't know how to describe it. He finally told security to look at the pictures on the camera and they could see that he was in some of the shots. Luckily that worked because he would not have dared to return home without my camera with over 1,000 photos stored on the memory card. The mix made it back also and I'm really glad it did because fried beignet's with powdered sugar are excellent.

To find out more click here

Not only did I pig out on those but we also had ice cream cake later that night- ugh. Luckily my stomach felt pretty good in the morning for my 3 mile run. I decided I wanted to sleep in a bit this morning so I text Bryan at 5:40 and told him I was going back to bed. When I woke up at 9 I decided to get the run over with right away because I need rest before Sunday's 22 miler. I asked Mike to come along and ride bike so he was more than happy to. I felt pretty darn good. I started off at my normal pace but picked it up after a few blocks. Mike even commented on my "nice pace" and it felt really good so I picked it up again. Of course I didn't have a watch on to know what my pace actually was but it felt like I was under an 8 minute mile. Mike was behind me most of the time so I felt like I was running fast enough where he actually did some work to keep up. Normally he kind of coasts beside me with not much effort. It was tough to talk and I could feel the dehydration starting to set in. Chills, plugged ears, dry mouth, heavy breathing...now that's an awesome run. Not the being dehydrated part but just feeling like you're flying and working hard for it. I even had to go to the bathroom the whole run but it didn't really affect me. That's super cool! I found my rhythm despite having the blues. Now let's see how tomorrow goes.

Comments