An Unusually Cool Encounter

Yesterday while Bryan and I were running he mentioned that a co-worker saw some Native American runners up by the Canadian border. They were carrying different items that we assumed must be a representation of why they were running. No one seemed to know why or what it was for but Bryan told the co-worker to dig around and see what he could find out. Well no need for any digging because I got some answers on my own.

As I was driving home from work today I came across the most amazing sight. The runners! I saw the first lone runner carrying a staff covered with feathers. Then I saw another one carrying a flag in each hand, but he was walking. And then there was another runner carrying something else (I have no idea what). They were all spaced out at least a half mile from each other. My brain went into warp speed as I contemplated all my options. I had to find out where they were going and why. Could I pull over and run beside one of them to ask my questions?  My subconscious was laughing at me and chanting wimp. My curiosity was too much to bare and that's when I saw my only chance. Standing on the corner at an intersection was another runner who appeared to be waiting for someone. Yahtzee! I took the next left, made a u-turn, and headed back toward the runner as I rolled down my window and took a deep breath.

Me: Can I ask what you're running for?
Young Man: It's a relay for peace and dignity...
Me: How far do you go?
Young Man: We start in Chikaloon Alaska and go to Guatemala.

Yay! This was the information that I was hoping for. Wait! What? Alaska to Guatemala? I'm so glad I stopped. The young man was very kind and soft spoken with curly shoulder length hair. He was the only runner who was wearing a tank as the others appeared to be wearing very dark colored t-shirts. I wondered if he was really hot with temps being in the 80's and the humidity still quite high. My brain was moving too fast to process everything he was saying and I knew I had a very limited amount of time. He told me he was waiting for his van to come and drop a new runner.

Me: Can anyone run this relay?
Young man: Yes anyone can run but it's mostly One Nation people.
Me: Do you know how many runners are in this relay? (thinking there would be quite a few)
Young man: Yes! There are seven.
Holy crap only 7 runners! He explained that one of the runners would be headed back home in the next few days and someone else would come and take his place. He was speaking rather eagerly naming places and people but I just couldn't quite keep up. Focus!

Me: How far have you run?
Young man: I started in Chikaloon.
Me: A friend of mine saw you by the Canadian border yesterday I believe.
Young man: Yes we crossed the border into the United States yesterday.
Me: Do you run the whole time or walk?
Young man: We run. You're suppose to run but if you get tired you can walk. We have elders that run with us but most are too old to run so they walk behind us.
Me: Does that represent something? (I point to the staff he is carrying)
Young Man: This is a staff to represent a massacre.

He proceeded to tell me the story of the massacre with more names and places. I knew I would not remember all of it and the thought of finding a piece of paper crossed my mind several times. I tried my best to focus on what he was telling me. I also really wanted to take a picture of him but all I had was my camera phone. Would I have been able to snap a shot since some cultures do not allow photographs? I think it would have been allowed. Anyways...he was carrying the staff to a village where he would leave it and share the story of this unknown massacre. He went on to tell me their would be a split within the group soon. Two groups would be formed and they would each head in a different direction, one south and one west (I think that's what he said). 

Me: Do a lot of people stop and ask you what you're doing?
Young man: Yes, but no one has stopped to listen for as long as you have.
Me: I'm very intrigued by this. I'm a runner and I've run on this road before so it's all very interesting to me.

By this time I can see in my rear view mirror that there is a blue van behind me and a semi is trying to turn in our direction onto the highway. Someone honked at me and I felt like I had to move out of the way before there was an accident. I didn't want to leave but I really had no choice. I thanked the young man and waved good-bye. I was so proud of myself for stopping but I wished I had more time to ask questions. Can I find any information on this relay online? How far or long do you run each day? Will you run all the way or are you going back home before you reach the end? I should have offered to drive him a short distance. Should've, could've, would've...of course.

On my drive home I thought about what I could have asked. Then when I got home I thought about lacing up, grabbing my camera, and going back to run with them. But where would they be? I had no idea which direction they were headed or if they were even running any farther today. I called reporter Scott DCamp to see if maybe he heard about this relay and/or knew they were coming through town but I had no luck contacting him. I'm assuming they stopped in Thief River to stay for the night. If they crossed the border yesterday and were running in Thief River at 3 p.m. that would mean they stopped somewhere last night. It's maybe an hour by car so if you estimate 60 miles then it would take approximately 10-11 hours running. So if they started running around 5 a.m. that would seem about right. Although I'm not sure of the exact time they were seen and how much farther they ran after crossing the border. When I did a quick google search it came up with 4,317 miles from Alaska to Guatemala but I'm not sure what the actual running mileage would be. Fact: I suck at math.

I haven't found much information online and I didn't get a photo to post, so you're left with only imagination. I really hope to see them again one day. Tomorrow I will put a notepad in my glove box and from now on I will bring my camera (and my running shoes) with me wherever I go. I don't ever want to miss an encounter like that again.


Photo Found on Myspace

Comments

  1. Wow, quite impressive. Neat story, glad you stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling I wouldn't find much online so I really wish I would've went back. Who knows if I would have found them again...probably not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment