The Run-down

I'm a little late on this post because I've been busy helping Mike and our two oldest daughters prepare for their New Orleans youth group trip. We were squeezing in as much family time as we could before their departure this morning. I'm already feeling pretty lonely without them and the house is much too quiet. It's strange that even when one person is gone from our house everything feels a bit out of whack. I think I'm more nervous about being left alone with my 12, 10, and 4 year old than I am about the other three being 1500+ miles away. I know my running plans have to change significantly this week since I'm without the proper supervision (aka awesome helpers).

My plan was to run my 10 x 880 (speed work) this morning just as Mike and the girls were leaving for their trip, but that never happened. My running partner was too tired to run so I waited a bit longer, walked to the church, said some good-byes, and sent everyone off. NO TEARS! The youth meet time was 6 a.m. but they didn't leave for the airport until 6:45. So there I was standing in the church parking lot with only 15 minutes left to run...I'm just not that fast. Well at least my intention was to run and I think I had a pretty good excuse as to why I didn't.

Side Note: Staying in bed because you're tired is a horrible excuse. 



Before supper I was able to get a few laps in staying close to home but the mileage was pretty low. You know how it is...
"Mom the water is boiling."
"Mom whatrya doing?"
 "Mom I think the noodles are done."
 "Mom she won't get out of my spot."
"Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom."
I understand they need me so I don't get mad or lose my cool. I simply stop running and tend to their every need. It's frustrating when I can't find the time to get the miles in, especially when I need to be training hard for the Twin Cities Marathon. But I am the mother of 5 children and my summer has been much busier than I thought it would be. It might be time to start worrying about my progress. I have a 20 mile run on plan this Sunday but with the 81 on 81 starting late Friday night and finishing Saturday afternoon I'm not sure how I'm going to disperse the miles yet.

 I did get some much needed mileage in this past weekend but I really need to stay on top of my program. On Saturday while I was getting ready for a run hubby said he would be more than happy to join me. After I told him I'd be going more than 3 miles he opted to ride bike. Absolutely! I thought maybe he'd only do a few miles with me and turn back but he went the whole 7 miles. He made good conversation, played music from his cool new phone, sang, and entertained me with his mad bike skills.


Not sure if he was bored or showing off for me.


Then hubby willingly joined me (on bike) again Sunday afternoon for my 10 mile run. I'm really glad he came along and I think it had more to do with the fact  that he'd be gone for a week but that's ok. Although we didn't have as much to talk about as the day before just having him there was pretty cool. He's never actually seen me run more than 3 miles so he got a small glimpse of what it's all about.

Since Mike has started running I have been very eager to see where it takes us as a couple. I refuse to push or hound him as I think it's something each person has to want and they need to do it at their own pace. Of course I will support and encourage him but I will not drag him out the door unless he specifically asks me to. His very first official 5K is coming up in a few weeks and although he doesn't run every day I think he's ready for it. Now the hills are a different story but we'll deal with that when the time comes, tehe. We're just taking it one step at a time as we've learned that you must take in only the positive and leave out the negative.

My Warrior Dash post is in the works so don't worry I haven't forgotten about it. Actually I think the pictures are on the memory card in the camera Mike has in New Orleans. Well...until then I guess.

Comments