Could it be an Injury?

So I started to notice some soreness on both sides of my right shin a while back. I just thought it was related to our Insanity workouts since they can be a little extreme. I thought it would just get better with time but it hasn't. It actually feels a lot worse. My 14 mile run on Sunday was a bit painful but my 3 mile run yesterday was too much. I finished the mileage but I adjusted my speed and form just to make it through. That is not a good thing.

My first thought was that it had to a shin splint. I would really like to deny that self diagnosis because I have never had a running injury nor do I ever want one. So many athletes deal with this problem so I know it's not uncommon and healing time can be very quick. I can deal with losing a few days but not any longer than that. My shoulder is still not quite up to par so I can't have another annoyance like that. I can't handle another problem in my life. When one issue starts to fade away my body should not open the door for another one. Why won't my body listen to me?

 I found myself taking breaks from the more high impact exercises this morning because it was painful. Jumping definitely does not feel good. I have 3 weeks left of Insanity and 16 weeks left of my running program. What the heck is going on? Deep down I know what's really happening but I'm totally in denial. Don't expect me to admit my problem yet. Especially when I know some of my viewers are non-runners and they might not understand. I see the eyes rolling!

Now as I sit here typing I can feel the aching pain that starts under my right knee and runs down through my foot. This is not good. I had hills to run today but I have not run one step.  Why?

1. Because I didn't get home from VBS until 8:30.
2. I had a hurt 4 year old that wanted no one but mommy.
3. There are no hills in Newfolden.
4. My leg hurts.

Yes I could have pushed myself. I could have just done some speed work. I could have went to eat ice cream with my friends and felt bad for myself. I could have drank the chocolate cake vodka I was handed tonight. I could have crawled in bed and wept. I could have excepted my problem...but instead I did none of those things. I will still workout in the morning and see how things are feeling after that. One day at a time.

Side note: I had to add this photo to prove I did run to Patti's house on Sunday. I was also attacked by crazy birds on her road so I'm not sure I'll run there again. I literally had to throw rocks at them to protect my head from getting pecked or pooed on.

I'm like a ninja!


Comments

Post a Comment