Get Motivated

Those on the outside looking in may say, "Wow you're crazy!" or perhaps, "Jeez you're insane!" and maybe us runners/adventure seekers are, but it basically comes down to one simple thing- determination.
Side note: To most runners being called crazy and/or insane is a compliment.

Determination: the act of deciding definitely and firmly; firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired end

At some point in every person's life they are determined to achieve some type of goal, whether it be running a marathon, having a family, losing weight, or just being happy with who they are. But whatever the goal may be we all have different ways to conquer them, agreed? Ok, so now let's discuss the motivation part.

This week as Insanity got under way I've heard a variety of comments and even a few sarcastic remarks, mostly about the groups mental state. That's all fine and good...however, quite a few of these people have expressed their own desires to accomplish some kind of fitness goal. The most common excuse is, "...but I just don't have enough time." There are so many excuses for why we can't do something. Being busy isn't one of them. Everyone can manage to fit just 20-30 minutes of running, walking, or working out into their daily routine. The benefits by far outweigh any bad excuse you're going to come up with.

I get it...no really I do. This morning I was super tired and did not want to workout. I stood in front of my bathroom mirror with my eyes half opened and wondered what the heck I was doing up at 4:30 a.m. It was the 4th day of Insanity and I was sore. I didn't go to bed until after 10 the night before, my stomach felt tight, my eyes were burning, hubby wasn't getting up, and I was dreading the run I told Bryan I would do after Insanity. I came up with all kinds of excuses why I should go back to bed, but I didn't. I reasoned with myself. Would I feel good about myself later? No. Would I really gain a lot of sleep if I went back to bed? Not really. There were people that would be waiting and that's when Rule 1.30 from The Runner's Rule Book comes in to play. When you've promised to meet someone you'll get up, even if you don't want to, and odds are you'll be glad you went. So exercising in numbers can keep us on track and make us do things we normally wouldn't do alone.


So guess what? I not only got a much needed stretch from Cardio Recovery but I had the best run ever (well it was darn good anyway). Even halfway through our workout I was still thinking it wasn't worth getting out of bed for, but I kept telling myself it was important. Even the first few blocks of my run were tough, but at some point I started to feel like a million bucks. It was a beautiful morning to enjoy with the 6 other Newfolden residents that were out there giving it their all. This could be YOU too!

The best quote I've read regarding running was "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch" I want to motify that to "...everyone still in bed" so I can look at it every morning. This applies to everyone in any workout routine, runner or not. Get out there when other people are still slobbering over their pillows, and gosh darn it feel good about yourself. This week I've been a little tired but my mood has improved drastically. Don't believe me? I challenge you to get up and get moving...you won't ever regret it.

Comments