Get Ready for Something New

Someone turned 12 today and it wasn't me!
(She tried to ignore me)

Before I get judged on the not so healthy picture below let me ask one question. How can you not have cake on your daughters birthday? I made her a double layer pudding cake with strawberry icing. She wants me to buy an ice cream cake for her friend party this weekend, but I wanted her to have one on the actual day of her birth to enjoy.

While I was baking this delicious cake and cleaning up the house I caught a glimpse of the weighted vest Dave dropped off for me to experiment with. So I strapped it on and went about my tasks while adding a few exercises into the mix just to test the weight.

(I wasn't even flexing- dweeb!)

It's intended use is for a practice pack test that firefighters must complete in order to receive a Red Card. My curiosity never fails!
What’s a Red Card?
The Red Card is part of the fire qualifications system used by all federal and many state and private wildland fire management agencies. All firefighters assigned to a fire being managed by a federal agency are required to have a Red Card. The Red Card functions similar to a drivers’ license, showing the holder of the card has completed the course work and training required to hold a particular position. This basic course, together with the fitness test, will get you into the Red Card system.

A pack test determines physical ability, which is part of the necessary requirements for a Red Card. The test consists of walking for 3 miles with 45 pounds on your back in under 45 minutes. I'm pretty confident that I can handle it but after wearing the 45 pound vest for 20 minutes my shoulders were starting to hurt. I tried jogging in place with it on and I felt the strain on my back right away. I also tried a few lunges but those weren't fun either. So the next time I get an urge to try that vest for fun I will take a few weights out (like Dave suggested) and add as I feel necessary. I don't want to injure myself by adding an extra 45 pounds to my body right away. I'm not sure when I will walk the 3 miles wearing the vest but hopefully I can find some time in the next week. Although I do have that 30 mile run creeping up on me and I don't want to mess that up. Then after that will be the start of Team Tammy! challenge group and INSANITY followed by Tough Mudder. Is everyone ready to get in shape? Let's get pumped up together as we near a whole new chapter!

Comments