Finding Therapy

I must say that baking and cooking can be very therapeutic. Okay, so maybe not if you're eating everything you bake and cook because that could just make you feel much worse. However, if you put your time, energy, and concentration into making a spectacular meal the end result will definitely leave you with a feeling of pride and accomplishment...or you might be more stressed and feel exhausted but let's go for the good feelings shall we? 

I have been known to do some emotional eating and I can honestly say it has not made me feel any better. Downing thousands of calories leaves a person feeling less energized and even more depressed. So there needs to be a replacement for food and for me it's running. If I have a really bad day and can't run for 12 hours straight (cause I totally do that when I have time) then I focus on some other positive activity. Recently I started putting puzzles together with my kids. You might think that sounds like an all out senior citizen bash but it really is fun to do. It takes patience and concentration- just what I need. It's also entertaining to watch your three year old try to cram two pieces together that clearly are not the right fit. See I'm on to something. Who needs a therapist when you have puzzles?

The past few days I have tried to focus on the positive people in my life. So today I made muffins for two friends that were feeling a bit down in the dumps from surgery and an illness.

How I do wish I could taste this!

Then I decided to make Mozzarella Stuffed Pesto Turkey Meatballs from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I've never cooked with pesto or parmigiano reggiano cheese before so I was competely clueless as to where to find these ingredience and what the cost of each one was. I found them and was willing to spend the extra money to try a new recipe but if anyone reading is going to try this recipe come over and get the cheese from me. It was $15 for a small triangle of cheese and this is all I used.

Just 1/4 cup of $15 Parmigiano Reggiano- wow!

The kids usually pop in and out of the kitchen while I'm making a mess and dancing around to music but not today. No questions like,"What are you making?" "Who's it for?' "When will it be done?" Nope, tonight it was just me and my Goofy Lucy who insisted on helping (in her Dora bathing suit that's too small).

"I try one more momma to see if it's good." Notice her super full mouth already? Oh and look there's the expensive cheese.

Yes the meatballs were very good (maybe not super healthy but it's all about portion control) but no one was home to eat them except Mike and I. So we had a nice quiet meal together before I was off again to a meeting. I'm asked quite often how I do it with 5 kids and a busy schedule. It's in part due to all my thinking which would cause me to overeat which would lead to health issues. I for one really would like to be healthy and full of energy as my kids grow up and start building their own families one day. So I just run!

Fun fact: Stress can bring on increased levels of cortisol, known as "the stress hormone". Among other things, high levels of cortisol can create cravings for salty and sweet foods. So stay calm and carry on!

Comments

  1. Your advise is great. I really do wish I could run or for that matter take a long walk. Because I can't, I busy myself with different types of mind games that I find very therapeutic. I too like to cook and try new things. I love it when I give out the finished product and they love it. What a great feeling that is. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment