The Big Run

The day finally arrived for my 30 mile run. Everything was in place and there was nothing but blue skies, sunshine...and horrible wind. Yep, I definitely picked the wrong direction for this run. I knew there would be wind but had no idea what kind of toll that would take on my entire body.

I prepared well by waking up early to eat my bagel with peanut butter and drink a nice hot cup of tea. I changed into my gear, lubed my feet, took my pills, and packed the Nathan Hydration Pak full of my essentials. Ready to go!

These are my usual essentials- minus the most important roll of toilet paper.

Thankfully after we picked up Bryan we had to come back to the house to set the odometer and I was able to grab my sunglasses (they proved to be a very important part of this run- I have a raccoon eye). I wanted to make sure I ended right by my own house without going any further than necessary. I watched the odometer closely and made sure Mike hit the brakes right at mile 30.
So we started in Polk county just south of Warren. It was a long drive so I knew I was in for an even longer run. I was hoping to start at 7 a.m. and be done by noon; think of all the other things you could do in a 5 hour period.

Getting ready to start.

We started out with the wind at our right sides but there are quite a few curves and direction changes along this route. Running against the wind was so horrible that I thought about turning around so we could run with it. Instead I just kept telling myself the wind was making me stronger, plus I didn't want to run any further away from my house than I had to. This was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. The mental part of it kicked in way earlier than I anticipated. Had the wind not been as bad as it was I think the run would have been much easier.

I'm going to be totally honest- it was kind of miserable! I'm not going to list all of my aches and pains because there were just too many to mention. But I will talk about the wind. There were times I felt like I wasn't even moving because the wind was so strong. Bryan and I were able to get breaks during the first 20 miles but Dave and I ran the last 10 miles directly against it. I have wind burn to prove it. 

If you look hard enough you can see Dave waiting for  me- lying on the road stretching

When my partner exchange happened I was in a pretty bad place mentally and physically. Dave was the "fresh" spirit I needed to get through and he was perfect in every way. I had to apologize for being so miserable and slow but he assured me he was there to help and support me. I love Dave! Being such an experienced runner he understood what I was going through and knew
all the right things to say. He had me smiling even when I didn't want to. I thought I was going to throw up, fall over, seize up, and all of that again 10 times over. Dave just ran so
effortlessly beside me and made sure I was doing ok. One time when I stopped to walk Dave asked if I was done. Done? Was I home? Nope. I told him I would keep going but my body and mind weren't communicating very well. I heard myself saying, "Go. Go. Just go. Go now." I think I was in a daze until Dave brought me back into reality.

I wanted to go faster just to get it over with but I couldn't. I could see Newfolden's water tower getting bigger, which meant we were getting closer, but it still seemed so far. I had moments where I thought I wouldn't be able to make it. I had side cramps, my mouth was super dry, the wind made it really difficult to breathe, and the overwhelming urge to vomit made me miserable. I kept telling myself to keep going and not give up. You can do et! Dave kept telling me I was like the little engine that could and I was almost there. It was definitely an emotional run, but I sucked it up and
did what I had to do. 

There was no official finish line or any crowd to cheer me on but I had two awesome fans that helped me get through this challenge. So thank you Bryan and Dave for all your support! I am a bit crazy and hard to handle at times but you have shown me true friendship and for that I am forever grateful. I finished my 30 mile run in roughly 5 hours and have felt just fine ever since (I mean after I finally threw up). No blisters or black toe nails, just sun burnt on the right side of my face (Rule 1.25 according to The Runner's Rule Book by Mark Remy) and a small sore on my back where my pak was rubbing. I'm glad that I set this goal for myself and even happier that I completed it. I'm way too stubborn to give up. As for my next challenge? Well INSANITY is next but since this is a running blog I'll be training for...an official marathon!








Comments

  1. Remember that achievement is it's own reward... no one can ever take this away from you, and you have pushed your own boundaries of "what is possible". Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 years ago I never even imagined being able to accomplish something like this. It's amazing what a person is capable of when they give themselves a little nudge. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. You are amazing. You set your goal of 30 miles and made it. What a great run. Your stubborness worked in your favor. Keep it up! Even though you didn't have an audience in sight, we were there in heart and mind. We love you and your ability to strive for better things. I want to see you in the Boston Marathon some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I will work on Boston for sure but one step at a time. Thank you for your support!

      Delete

Post a Comment