Where it all Began

It all started way back in 2009 with The Couch to 5K Running Program. I know what you're thinking and you're wrong!  This post won't be a long drawn out history all about me and my none injuries and less than a dozen races. After all it's only been 2 years, 5 months, and some odd days since I began so don't expect much from me- jeez. Although I joke about only running for a short 2 years it seems much longer than that and I've had my moments of grueling pain and mental agony. The reason I went back to where it all started was due to the fact that my husband, Mike, started running last week and I'm super excited for him to run his first 5K!

The couch to 5K program states that a person can run 3 miles in just two months. You just need to commit 25 minutes of your time three days a week, not so bad right? Right! I'm just a little worried about the time of year Mike is starting since waking up earlier will be tough enough and then we have the cold weather to contend with. This week has been fairly decent as far as the temperature is concerned but next week he'll be fishing in Canada and won't be able to run. Getting behind on running is not a good way to start. You have to be very dedicated and willing to stick to the schedule in order to get the best results. We're taking it one day at a time so this morning we willed ourselves out of bed (on my rest day) and completed the week 2 walk/run course. This was the second time I've gone with him but his third time in the past two weeks. I'm so proud of him and I know my goofy smile shows it, especially when the lady walkers Bryan and I see every morning pass by. I so badly want to say, "Look, it's my husband!" as I smile and point. I really hope that he sticks with it and at least runs one 5K with me. He's a team player (as you can tell from the blurry picture he let me take) so I think he'll get my goofy smile for a while longer.


Part of Mike's new running plan stems from the diet challenge we will be starting tomorrow. Weigh in's will be every Friday with Bryan and his wife Kristin competing against Mike and I with the loser hosting a barbecue. We started a little earlier than our competitors by exercising and eating healthier this week and we've been bringing low calorie lunches from home. No more eating out and spending lots of money on empty calories! What perfect timing for the recent purchase of my new Goodbyn green apple kit I bought on Zulily. Yes I am addicted to Zulily!


See how pretty (and healthy) that is! I love this new kit and it was much bigger than I anticipated (bonus). The best part is that it comes with dishwasher safe stickers so I got to decorate the cover myself. I know you all want to see that photo too, so here you go.


Pretty sweet isn't it? I actually packed more than the 300 calories I would normally eat for lunch because I wanted to try all the compartments to see how it worked. The cover is a little tough to get on but once it's on I don't have to worry about anything leaking or falling out. The only real problem I had was trying to fit it into the mini fridge at work. Not a flaw of Goodbyn by any means but I'll have to bring non refrigerated items in the future. I also love the fact that I'm being more environmentally friendly! 

Comments

  1. I am so proud of you and Mike. Getting in shape is the best thing you can do for yourself. Healthy eating and exercise keeps your heart healthy and the rest of your body too. I wish I knew back when, what I do now. Keep going. We are routing for you both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment