What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Sound familiar? That's because this blog title comes from the lyrics to a Kelly Clarkson song in which she wails about being stronger after facing a tough situation. I haven't really listened to the exact lyrics, so I am just assuming, but this quote has been around for many years and by now I think everyone understands it. Especially on a day like today I can honestly say I completely understand this quote: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Our 19 mile run this morning turned into a mental challenge for me as soon as I hit mile 15. I knew I could do it physically but my brain apparently thought otherwise. I didn't necessarily hit the wall but I got way too close to that invisible barrier and it was not pleasant. For some odd reason I kept looking down at the road as if it were a bed. I wanted to lie down and rest. It probably would have felt great to lie down anywhere at that point, but of course that was not an option. So I just pressed on by putting one foot in front of the other while trying to get through it as quickly as possible.

I suppose my first bad decision was made yesterday when I went to the dojo to work on my martial arts training. I really want to get back into Jujutsu but perhaps the day before a long run is not the best time to start up again. There was also my skepticism that could have caused a problem for me mentally. I was a little nervous about whether or not my stomach would cooperate since my last few runs ended in a mad dash for the bathroom. Turns out my concern was legitimate as I had to take a bathroom break before we reached mile 5. However, that problem came and went rather quickly.

My biggest physical issue was the chaffing between miles 10 and 15 but luckily my back-up "coach" came with my Aquaphor and I found instant relief. Gotta love a big tub of gooey stuff that prevents blisters and chaffing! Then when I thought my problems were solved the wind picked up out of the north which made my exposed body parts quite cold. It was at that moment that my brain started playing tricks on me. So, in an attempt to help me, Bryan kept updating me on our progress. Unless I'm doing a pace run I don't want to know what mile I'm on or how much farther I have to go, so this on top of my other frustrations caused a minor argument. I think Bryan tried to explain why knowing your distance helps but I had to keep cutting him off and told him repeatedly not to tell me. I threatened to go faster so I wouldn't have to hear him and then he dared me to. Huh, he got me there! There was no chance I was going to pick up my pace. So then I threatened to just stop and pout, and thus ended the argument with a laugh. I tried singing, stretching, drinking water, thinking about my key motivators, and then it happened...I finished! It wasn't my toughest run ever but it sure did have a lot of bad moments.

When I finally got home I wanted to eat everything in sight but I settled on potato salad, oatmeal pancakes, a brownie, and of course a hot cup of tea. Don't worry the diet is still going OK! I was just in a hurry to wash all the sweat and Aquaphor off my body. I know an ice bath is usually recommended after a long run but I really look forward to a long hot shower or bath. Today it was a bath and I was able to dissect my run and create some crazy goals for the future (look for my crazy idea post coming in April). Hey, it's called an addiction for a reason!

Comments