Skiing can be Dangerous!

As usual, these past two days have been very eventful here in the 5Pinkfairies home. Yesterday was our rescheduled family ski trip that was originally cancelled due to our 11 year old being in the hospital with an infection in her throat. I must first tell you that up until seven months ago our 5 children have been healthy, ER and hospital free, all bones and limbs intact, energetic (when not in front of the TV), "normal" kids. For some strange reason we have come into some very bad luck and three of our children have experienced some unnecessary, but thankfully short lived, pain. We've been praying that no other sicknesses, diseases, conditions, or accidents will find us and that our unlucky spell is over. After a close call last night all I can do now is expect the unexpected.


Our 15 year old tried to fly like Superman while skiing, but the flying was short lived as she crashed to the ground landing on the left side of her face and neck. Don't worry, the collar was just a precautionary measure used to secure her neck in case there was an injury. She was checked over by a doctor in the ER and she walked away with just a few scratches on her beautiful face. The story played out something like this...
I was happily riding on the chair lift with my 14 year old when I heard my friend in the chair in front of us say, "Wow they're going fast!" a few seconds later she followed it up with an "Oh sh*%!" Wow Nicole potty mouth (JK, she doesn't swear often). I tried to turn my body so I could look down at the area she was looking at but it was hard to see anything. After Caitlin yelled at me to stop moving the chair I finally turned enough to see a person lying on the ground, but they weren't moving. I assumed the careless skier was speeding down the run, lost control, and wiped out. Then I hear Nicole say, "That's your daughter you know?" I had no idea it was Claudia but I could make out a figure that looked like my husband kneeling beside her. I looked for movement but didn't see any. The lift all of a sudden felt like it was moving at snail pace. I looked down but we were too high for me to jump (yes I thought about it). We finally got to the top and I quickly skied back down with my heart skipping beats. I reached the bottom and my skis flew off as I tried running in those stupid stiff immobile boots. Three ski patrolmen got there before me and they were already asking Mike and Claudia questions about what happened. Apparently since it was dark Claudia didn't see there was tape stretched across a section of the run she came down. By the time she did see it it was too late and she had no where to go until the tape propelled her through the air. She came down on the left side on her face and neck and she was complaining of pain in her neck. Well that lead to more questions, a backboard, c-collar, and a recommended trip to the ER. When she got to see the doctor he sat her up, took the collar off, poked her neck a bit, and said, "I'll be right back." Huh! Really? Well apparently just by looking at her as he walked in the room he determined she was OK. To his defense he did say he monitored her walking to the bathroom (after he removed the collar) and by the way she was moving he had no concerns about any major damage or injury. So we were good to go with only an hour lost. Luckily this ordeal didn't ruin anyones experience and since it happened just as the park was closing no one had to leave early. Our family friends Gary and Nicole were very helpful in gathering all our kids, bringing them to the hospital, and they stayed in the waiting room with them until we were cleared by the doctor. They are truly a blessing!

Now I'll touch a bit on my 17 mile run this morning. It was amazing! Enough said...maybe a bit more.
I was sore from skiing and not sure if I'd get enough sleep since we didn't get home until 11:00 last night. But of course I had to go. How could I not go? My farthest run before today was 16 miles, so now this is officially my longest run. It was a beautiful morning with temperatures steadily rising from the lower 30's, sun shining, and just a slight southwest wind. Perfect! I wore my Nathan hydration pak, which I emptied, and digested some sports beans about halfway through the run. Everything played out the way I always imagine that it should. My stomach made me nervous when I woke up this morning as I felt it bubbling (I think of it as a slow boil on medium heat). So I drank a little tea, ate some graham crackers, took two anti-diarrhea pills, grabbed a little tp, and just hoped for the best. Yippy, I made it! My feet were a little sore and the calves were pretty tight but overall it was a good run and I have been pain-free all day today. And the best part was I had NO STOMACH ISSUES!

Comments

  1. Never a dull moment in this family. Its like "It's Always Sunny in Newfolden"

    Running that extra mile is a great feat. You are well on your way to do a major marathon, like the NY or Boston Marathons. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment