Lessons in Life

Throughout the day today I found myself thinking about a homeless boy and his truly amazing, kind hearted, lovable girlfriend. Some people are blessed with special people in their lives but sometimes they don't even realize it. Perhaps some people are too busy speeding through life trying to be "perfect" while cramming lots of meaningless tasks into their schedule. I'm just sayin'. I haven't found the exact words to describe how beautiful this girl is, inside and out, but I have always believed that she has a special quality that not everyone is blessed with. 

My oldest daughter Claudia, who just turned 16 yesterday, instantly became friends with a girl named Bryana (Bree) when they attended pre-school together. Although they no longer attend the same school they have remained friends and are members of the same 4-H club. Yesterday I invited Bryana and her mom, Deb, over for some cake to celebrate Claudia's birthday. I really admire Deb for her generosity and kindness (must be where Bree got it from) and she's an awesome mom to boot! Deb has always been easy to talk to and although we don't see each other often we can gab for hours when we do. So last night was our chance to get caught up on the stresses and near heart attacks we've experienced having teenager, and now 16 year olds that officially have permission to date. We wasted no time getting to the gabbing as Deb told me Bree's new boyfriend was "something else" because he was homeless. I was shocked when I first heard this because I thought Deb and her husband would never let Bree date someone like that. See that's my judgemental side peeking it's ugly head out. Not that I would ever hesitate to help in that situation but to let them date my daughter was a whole different ball game.

Deb went on to tell me that this boy was born to a victim of rape and that his dad, whom he never knew, is now dead. Sometime earlier this year the boys mom met a man, moved away, and left the boy to fend for himself. He had nowhere to go and he's only 17. He had no where to shower, barely any clothes, no jacket, and who knows how or what he ate. I'm thinking maybe he had a job because apparently he slept in his car and wasn't starving, but that's just an assumption. Deb insisted on buying him a jacket but he declined and said he was fine without one. In January Deb bought him some clothes at Plato's Closet and was finally able to buy him a jacket. They brought the boy out to lunch and all he ordered was soup and nothing else. She expressed her concern about the situation but despite the boy's horrible upbringing he has been very respectful and kind to Bree. Deb's concern for the boy's well being was finally brought to the school and now the boy is living with his sister in an apartment. I thumbed through some photos Deb had of Bree's birthday with balloons on one side and her new boyfriend on the other. And that was all she wanted for her birthday- that boy!

Bree has such a big heart and although she is only 16 and hasn't experienced too much in life she has learned a very important lesson. DO NOT JUDGE PEOPLE! She never has been judgemental, even of the girls that were of her. She's not athletic or a straight A student and she's had trouble fitting in (those darn better than everyone else type people) but she is caring and considerate. She stays very busy and her mom spends so much time driving her from one event or job to another she jokes about decorating her car like a bedroom. They are best friends and I totally envy their relationship. I pray for the same compassion for Bree that she gives to everyone else and I know she is going to be super successful with whatever she does in life (she's an amazing artist). Even though this boyfriend might not last very long I am glad that her family opened their hearts and home for him. I am truly blessed that I can call them our friends!
Beautiful Bree!

Comments