Doritos and Mountain Dew

I definitely am not the one eating Doritos or drinking Mountain Dew, so please don't panic coach Tammy! My almost 30 year old male boss, we'll call him "T", is a smoker who claims to be unhealthy and out of shape. Well Doritos and Mountain Dew do not make up a well balanced meal, and neither does Taco Johns. T eats this way quite often and has expressed his concerns about his health to me and would also like to quit smoking. He has been my friend for more years than he's been my boss so I'd like to give him as much support as I can. However, he has a highly stressful job and these unhealthy habits are like a security blanket for him. I know how difficult getting rid of a "blanket" can be, but if you're ready mentally then goals can be more easily achieved.

I am not a coach or a professional of any kind and these are just my recommendations from my own personal experiences.

Not that I want to push everyone into running but I really do think that it can positively transform a persons entire life. It did for me and now I'm addicted! However, T constantly pokes fun at me for running as he is very open with his thoughts and opinions of everything and everyone. I'm pretty sure running is not his thing, but he has many other options as does every individual. Running is just one fast and easy (well maybe not so easy) way to shed some pounds. Anything that gets you out and moving is...well in the words of Martha Stewart, "A good thing!"

My advice to everyone who works out of the home is to bring your own food to work with you and count calories. I've heard from so many different people that counting calories seems too difficult and there's a fear of having to completely cut out certain foods from your life. This is NOT the case. Counting calories in my opinion is the best way to lose weight and then continue to maintain that weight. You don't have to cut certain foods out necessarily because really it's unrealistic to do that. For example, a no carb diet may work for temporary weight loss but to keep carbs out completely is unrealistic. I know that I could lose weight from cutting carbs but I also know that I'm not going to live the rest of my life without breads and pastas. With calorie counting you can still eat the foods you want but in moderation.

When I first started counting calories years ago I estimated my daily intake at about 1300. I bought a calorie counting book and quickly learned the more common food counts and after the first tough week it got so much easier. I was able to lose 20 pounds by counting and adding moderate exercise. When you learn how to add the calories it seems you want to eat healthier foods because you are more satisfied and more importantly you feel so much better mentally and physically. For example 30 jelly beans is approximately 120 calories and an apple is approximately 80. Of course the apple is the healthier choice but more importantly it is more satisfying whereas the jelly beans will likely lead to another unhealthy snack. Just some food for thought :)

I recommend WebMD food and fitness planner to get you started. All you need to do is input some basic information along with some goals and the site will calculate a good plan for you. I'm not saying that other diets don't work because some people are able to eliminate certain foods from their lives and be OK with that. I am not, or at least not yet! If you're serious about losing weight then just try it for a month and see how you feel after that.

Here's a healthier than Doritos and Mountain Dew recipe that my family is addicted to from Allrecipes.com:

recipe image
Playgroup Granola Bars
Rated: rating
Prep Time: 15 MinutesReady In: 50 Minutes
Submitted By: PREGOCOOKCook Time: 35 MinutesServings: 24
"My girlfriend brought these granola bars over for a playgroup one morning and ever since they've been a staple!"
Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2.In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
Nutrition
Information
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Calories: 161
Amount Per Serving
  • Total Fat: 5.5g
  • Cholesterol: 9mg
  • Sodium: 79mg
Amount Per Serving
  • Total Carbs: 26.6g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
  • Protein: 2.4g
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 3/27/2012
Click here to find out more!

Comments

  1. You are absolutely right about healthy eating and exercise no matter how you do it. I can not cut out carbs from my diet because I am still hungry after just eating. My doctor said some people need carbs to be able to feel full. Of course it has to be in moderation. I know the pitfalls of bad dieting. If you can convince your friend to try to give up the Dorito/Mountain Dew diet for a healthier one, you may just help save his life. Keep up the good work. It will pay off for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment