Back to Running?

Now that the holidays have passed and the break from work and school is over, it's time to get back to the routine of family, work, kids activities, and of course running. Since this is a running blog I will leave out all of my uneventful holiday details and get right into this weeks topic.
I must first admit that I haven't run more than 15 miles, or perhaps less, during the whole month of December. After the Thanksgiving Turkey Leg we just seemed to drop right out of the running circle. Runners World magazines were neglected, running clothes were thoroughly washed and put away, I rarely saw fellow runners, and life started to...well...kinda suck. Missing many key days of running can't all be blamed on busy holiday schedules though, and it certainly had nothing to do with the weather since there were record highs set here in Minnesota. Nope, most of the blame can go to my lovely (sarcasm) and very uncooperative stomach that is well overdue for a replacement. With an unclear head I believe a stomach transplant could possibly be the best solution, however at this point it is a very uncommon procedure. Let some doctors mess around with that and my problems could turn into a living nightmare. No thank you! I have been to the clinic many times in the past, and also quite recently, for my unknown problem but it seems that not even the doctors have a real answer or solution. A few doctors have said they believe it to be IBS, which affects 55 million Americans. I was very surprised to read that so many people were affected by this but not as surprised to read that it is more common in women. Isn't that just fantastic!? Now my biggest challenge will be to manage this problem so I can run and more importantly race to my full ability. I have added "stomach management" to my list of New Years resolutions since some stress was given to me as a not so appreciated gift this holiday season. And what made matters even worse is that I caught some sort of stomach bug mid-month that made my daily life pretty miserable. The bathroom and I have become very good friends in the last six weeks (more sarcasm). I so desperately wanted to go for a run to ease the stress, which in turn could have possibly helped my stomach. However, I couldn't leave my house and if I did I was very lucky to make it to wherever I was going. Needless to say running was pretty much out of the question. No amount of toilet paper in my jacket pocket was going to help in this situation.
I have always heard that too much stress can cause serious issues when it comes to your health but having to experience it first hand really was unnecessary. So how does a person maintain a stress level that is tolerable? Sorry, you won't find the answer here as I am still searching and need to do more extensive research. If anyone reading this post has any suggestions please feel free to leave a comment. This annoyance needs to be figured out rather quickly as official training begins January 16th. I have managed to run two days so far this week and things are looking up but I don't want this to happen ever again. I will continue to turn to my faith in God as I know He will guide me through the tough times and hopefully I can continue on a regular running schedule in 2012.

Comments

  1. I know you will overcome this as you have done with many things. I'm glad you will be running again. I wish I could join you but this old girl can't run anymore. Good Luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment