The More the Merrier

Last night I felt the need to go for a quick run, so I text Bryan to ask if he was game. Nope, it was his daughters birthday and he was hanging out with the family. So I asked my oldest daughter Claudia, the first year track participant, if she wanted to go. She surprisingly said no right away but discussed it with her little buddy next door and before I knew it I had two willing runners. Then my 10 year old, Caley, decided she wanted to give it a shot as well. I knew that these kids ran 1 mile (4 laps around the school) in gym class and could make it at least that far. As soon as we were all geared up I explained exactly where we would have to run for 3 miles. Their faces seemed to dropped a little more after I described each land mark, but they were ready to go! So off we went running side by side down the road- all four of us. I fell behind to keep pace with Caley while Claudia and Connor ran at their youthful pace well ahead. I knew Caley would have a hard time but I willed her to make the 1 mile mark, since I knew she had done at least that in school. I stopped a few times to walk with her even though I wanted to keep running. Stopping when you don't need to is very hard. Claudia and Connor also stopped and stretched and walked a bit but stayed ahead until we got back across town. I had to send Caley home because she just couldn't quite make it. I caught up to the other two kids and they looked pretty wiped (I believe they called me crazy). So when we were by Bryan's I just kept my regular pace and did what I knew how to; I just ran! I couldn't see anyone behind me anymore and Caley did try to come back and finish but I lost her too. Rounding the corner to finish by my house I saw three kids running down the other street to beat me. Silly kids! Ultimately I was very proud of them for going with me and for doing their best to complete 3 miles. They kicked my butt for pace but I guess I had more stamina!

Comments