Fargo Marathon




Yes it has been a really long time, I know! My computer was down for about a month but I continued to run despite my lack of blogging. Exactly one week ago today I completed my very first half marathon race in Fargo, ND. The event that had me training through below zero temperatures came and went like a wave. It was a wonderful experience and despite the little bit of rain Saturday morning the weather was perfect.

Last weekend was the BIG event and I was very nervous during the week that lead up to it. Even after all those months of getting up early and running no matter what the weather was like I was feeling a bit unsure. I still had not completed a full 13.1 run. Although I was fairly sure I could make it I still had my doubts. I also had a fear of tripping before I even made it to the start line and getting trampled. Bryan assured me that if that were to happen he would drag me through the course. The agonizing pain I was in after my 12.6 run months ago also had me very worried. I told myself weeks ago that I wasn't going to stop for any reason; No stopping to stretch, no using the porter potty, no stopping to drink, and no stopping for injuries. I wanted to complete the half feeling like I gave it everything I had. I believe I accomplished that and looking back now I don't think I would have changed a thing. We were wet before the race even started and it kept raining for about 4 miles. When the rain stopped the air was warm and we had a very comfortable temperature. I also received bits of motivation that really helped throughout the course, and I must say the wheelchair racers were amazing. The pain got to be a little intense towards the end but for the last 3 miles we kept hearing "You're almost there!" Thanks fans for TRYING to inspire hope. I ran at a little slower pace than I would have liked but we never stopped. Our original goal was to run a 2:30 half but as the date got closer we hoped for 2:10. For the 5K we ended up with 00:29:45 and the half was 2:16. Over 20,000 people were registered for the 3 day event. Friday night was a 5K Family Fun Run/Walk and we ended up too far back in the line of 3,500+ to get a better time. Plain and simple we trained as hard as we could and stuck to our goal. Now I have to set some new goals as Bryan has already done for himself. He is determined to run a full marathon yet this year but I'm not quite on the same page yet. I would like to get my 5K pace down to 20 minutes. Not saying that this will happen in the next year, or that I'm even capable of it. What it does mean is that I will have to train even harder and endure even more aches and pains. I don't have any specific races in mind yet but I know for sure I will be in Fargo again next year (minus the moldy Motel room). It was a blast!

Comments