Ended up Short

Ah, the dreaded Sunday run. The one run I'm not so sure about until my feet are pounding on the pavement. I had it set in my mind that I would go 10 miles, even without Bryan. Ok so the thought wasn't actually set until 3:52 p.m. when I started running west of town and then still not for sure until I met Dave (another runner). He was coming back from his 10 mile and I had to ask him where the 5 mile mark was. I wasn't quite sure and I really didn't want to know the answer.
"One mile past the Viking road," he told me. Yikes- definitely not a distance I thought I could conquer. I knew what I needed to do. So Dave and I parted ways and I continued to listen to my iPod and contemplate this run. Every car that passed was like a smiling face cheering me on, although very few people actually waved. Still it was kind of like a change in scenery when a car came out of the fog and I could concentrate on something besides miles of flat road. Minutes seemed to last an eternity but yet the time withered away. I pulled my phone out of my pocket a few times to check for a text from Brian. I wanted to know how many miles he went without me! I thought I was making pretty good time according to the calculations from my clock/phone (averaging 10 minute miles). After passing the Viking road I knew it wasn't much farther before I could turn around. Finally reaching 180th Ave I thought that had to be a mile and at that point the decision was made to turn around and head back. I was also concerned about the fog and the amount of daylight I had left. I stopped to stretch for a brief moment and thought about how badly I needed to use the bathroom (another interesting topic that might be discussed at a later time). I again checked my phone and there it was, a message from Bryan. Oh how I wish now that I did not check my phone at all that day. The text simply read:

I went 13.1...

How could he run it without me? That was our goal and now he's completed it without ME! More contemplating as a began my run back into town. I asked myself, what's another 3.1 miles added to my already ten? I could just do a loop and then a few extra blocks to make sure I got the same distance as Bryan. There was also the time factor since Bryan finished in 2:19. I could do it, or heck I could maybe even do better. Well usually after 6 miles I start having pain in my lower back and legs but I was so determined to get my 13.1 miles. Every street and every house became a marker of some kind. Something to keep me going and get me back to town where I was very familiar with the 3 mile loop. The pain became unbearable at times but I just kept pushing through while telling myself I HAD to do it. The pain was something I hadn't ever experienced, even worse than Martial Arts. My legs, lower back, shins, calves, and feet were burning with pain and no stretch could make it feel any better. Once I got back into town my feet were starting to drag on the ground, so much that I actually tripped. I forced my knees to come up a little higher with each stride to keep my feet going. I could feel my face cringing and I thought at any moment tears were going to start flowing down my cheeks. My body was starting to tell my brain something but I wouldn't let them communicate- I had to get it done. Across town, around the new development, down a few more streets, across the tracks, headed for Bryan's. I wanted to stop at his house and tell him that he sucked and ask for a ride home but I kept going, turned at the highway and passed by his house again. Soon I would be able to ease into a nice hot bath, get a drink of water, and most importantly go to the bathroom (not in that particular order). I had to run around my block and back up to the gas station to make sure I got in the exact mileage that I needed. Checking my phone for the time I realized that I was getting close to the 2:19 that Bryan had completed so I really had to push at the end. When I was about a block and a half from my house something kicked in and I was sprinting. It actually felt really good and the smile that came across my face proved it. I reached my final mark and I was so excited! I gave myself a "YES" ran up on my deck, and laid down. I called Mike and could hear him on the other side of the door responding to me as I told him I was going to drive the distance to make sure I got 13.1. Without a drink, bath, or bathroom break I jumped into my van and began the drive on that dreaded route. Well a mile past the Viking road was correct but it wasn't 5 miles to that point. Dave must have meant it was 5 miles from his house to that point. Needless to say I was disappointed right away knowing that I had come up short. Could've, should've, would've! Darn it! I sucked up all that pain for nothing. 12.6 miles in 2:19 was the final determination. So the great pace that I thought I had was not so great after all and my finish time meant nothing. I enjoyed my luxuries when I finally got inside the house and got lots of praise for my accomplishment. But I was still really bummed. I've been to the chiropractor twice since Sunday and haven't run since. I was told that for a race I was allowed to push it but when my body is in that much pain it's telling me I need to stop. Stopping was not an option that day but I wish that it had been. I wish that I stuck to my 10 mile plan (even though it would have been short) and that my stubbornness wouldn't have crept up that day. Well all said and done I'm happy with what I have been able to do in these last few months. Now that I know I can complete the half marathon my mind is a little more at ease. However these Sunday runs are going to be brutal!

Comments

Post a Comment